Gas Heater Blower stops running, fills house with a burning smell

Old 12-12-11, 07:30 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Heater Blower stops running, fills house with a burning smell

This is the second time this has happened in the past 6 weeks. Both occurances have been on cold nights, and the days prior to the blower stopping it seemed that it was making more noise than ussual. Each time this has happened I simply open up the unit, spin the fan to make sure it is not restricted, then turn back on the heat and the blower will start up. What could be causing the blower to stop working? thanks in advance!

Old 12-12-11, 09:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is the fan at all difficult to turn? It should turn freely. If so, it probably needs to be lubricated with oil. Look for an exposed oil port at the end of the motor.

Other wise, check to see if there is a capacitor electrically connected to the motor. The capacitor provides torque to start the motor turning and it may have failed and need to be replaced.

If the motor hasn't been lubricated in 2-3 years, it should be done as routine maintenance. This involves completely disassembling the fan assembly in most cases, and takes an hour or more of work to do in order to get at the inner oil port.

Old 12-12-11, 09:36 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The Fan will spin very freely, so I do not think there is anything restricting it or it needs lubrication. I can check the capacitor when I get home. If it failed, wouldnt the fan never start up? Both times this has happened, I open up the furnace, spin the fan, to see if its stuck, then turn back on the heat and the fan will start right up. Thanks!

Old 12-12-11, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The capacitor provides torque to help get the motor started. Pushing the fan to get it started would be characteristic of a failed capacitor, and that's what I thought you were doing from your earlier post.

I'd try letting the furnace warm up so that the power has a chance to turn on to the fan motor and give it a push to see if it starts though.

Capacitors are $6-10 and replacing it would be an alternative to replacing the motor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: