Goodman gms90904cxa not firing anymore

Old 12-12-11, 07:25 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman gms90904cxa not firing anymore

Hi guys great site, hoping someone can help me trouble shoot this furnace. I've been reading similar problems as they all start out the same but not sure any apply to my situation. Sorry if this seems to get long winded but would like to try and give as much info as I can. So my goodman furnace has been running flawlessly for about 7 years but just stopped so I
Replaced the batteries in thermostat nope not it.
Now the issues are serious cuz I gotta read lol. Manual has me
Check the red LED codes 3 blinks . At first neither blower would turn on so first I checked the filter and was dirty but not to bad so banged off the loose crap then checked the flame sensor and cleaned it with fine grade sandpaper. reset thermostat and furnace - nothing. Then looked over the pressure sensors and found that the pro installers had damaged both wires going to the right sensor (orange and yellow). I then repaired the wires reset thermostat and furnace - nothing again. Now to address the drain lines, have both access panels off removed the inner bigger round black rubber hose from both ends all clear and trap had water like it should. Cleaned all the crud outa the drain tubes hooked it all back up, reset thermostat and furnace uhg! nothing. I was tripping the safety switch by holding it for lower access panel. Now while the furnace was trying to cycle I heard a humming sound coming from the smaller fan/blower (I think its for the flame not the heat distribution blower) so as it was buzzing I rotated the black wheel connected to the blower and the furnace fired up but only lasted 5 - 10 minutes. tried again and couldn't get it going again. So I disconnected the intake and exhaust pipes to rule out clogged pipes causing problems and this did nothing. Got an ohm meter for the pressure switches. Here is what I did to try and rule out bad switches. With power off disconnected the wires to the switches and also the grey tubes, I pulled the end off that goes to the blower and left the other end on the switch. I touch the ohm meter to the connectors on the switch and nothing so with them still on the connectors I sucked air from the switch and displayed full continuity so Im assuming the switches are good. So hooked everything up again and still nothing and I am outa ideas. So what is it starting to look like to yous guys.. BURRRRR

Old 12-13-11, 02:41 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
sounds like your smaller motor (inducer) is dead, replace it. You have a 3 flash (pressure switch code) because that motor has to run to close the switch.

Old 12-13-11, 03:29 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hvactechfw
sounds like your smaller motor (inducer) is dead, replace it. You have a 3 flash (pressure switch code) because that motor has to run to close the switch.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking but the humming noise was telling me it wanted to move but being held back by something. So I was thinking if I have to replace that anyway I should prolly look inside the heat exchange(?) (area the inducer operates) for anything that maybe causing the motor to jam if that's the case. Reason I haven't done so yet is the seal that could cause more problems if i were to take that apart. Am I going to need new gaskets or can I reuse what I have? Also access to the inside there are 2 different ways from looking at it obviously the easiest would be removing the sheet metal the plastic housing is attached to there are about 6 screws to remove compared to removing the housing from the sheet metal which would be about 20 screws but that maybe the proper way in not sure so any advice would be great and thanks in advance.
BURRRR.

Old 12-13-11, 04:02 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
motor should come off as an assembly. Often when the motors start to fail they will make noise. Most likely nothing is stuck anywhere and obstructing the motor. Replacement assembly should have a new gasket or you may need high temp silicone. I can't remember for sure which your furnace uses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: