carrier 58DH HEATER

Old 12-13-11, 01:53 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
carrier 58DH HEATER

Hi,
I have a Carrier 58DH heater installed horizontally. When the thermostat calls for heat, the induction motor comes on, the gas valve opens, the burners ignite, eveything times out OK and then the problem. When the blower motor is supposed to come on, the 2E relay goes on & off continueously causing the blower motor to start very slowly making a booming noise until it picks up speed, then everything runs OK. When the therm. is shut off, everything shuts downs OK, but then that relay goes on & off again causing the motor to shut down slowly. Does anyone knows whats causes this. I suspect it might be 7H1, 7H2 or 7H3 safety switches causing the relay to energize then de-engergize. Help
Denny
Van Nuys, CA

Old 12-13-11, 02:10 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Do the burners stay on while the blower cycles?

If the power to the blower gets interrupted as the motor starts (verify with multi-meter if you're comfortable doing so), the control board could be bad.

By the looks of the spec sheet (printed in 1984 - http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...60yLCg&cad=rja), the 58dh probably dates back to the 1980s.

I would inspect the heat exchanger prior to investing in repairs.

Check for cracks and popped crimp rings.

Old 12-13-11, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The circuit board has a timer on it which switches on the fan motor. The symptoms you describe are caused by a circuit board that needs to be replaced.

Having the heat exchanger checked before putting in the new circuit board would be the smart thing to do.

Old 12-14-11, 09:23 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
carrier 58dh

Hi,
Thanks for responding to my needs. I suspected the circuit board because I saw a lot of carbon around the 2E relay. Yes, this heater is from the 1980's but it's not used that much. I live in southern California and the heater is only used in early morning to get the chill out. Maybe 30 hours of operation in a whole winter. I don't think the heat exchanger is a problem, but I will check it anyway. Where can I buy this circuit board? That would be the easy fix, cause this heater is in the attic and would take a lot of work to get it out, plus disconnecting the ac evaportor coil and so on. Thanks again.
Denny

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: