Honeywell R7284 Primary Stuck On Standby

Old 12-16-11, 12:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell R7284 Primary Stuck On Standby

Hi All,
This is my 1st install of the R7284U so I'm not familiar.
Here's what I'm working with:
Primary Ignition: Honeywell R7284U 1004
DMO AF G5 XN (I'm presuming it's a Beckett AFG)
Brand New Honeywell C554A CAD Assy.
Hunter Digital Thermostat Model 44550

I'm wondering if it's possibly a defective unit, a defective component or I don't have it set up correctly.
Here goes. I've replaced a Honeywell R8184G 1393 with a Honeywell R7284U 1004.
R8184G is marked intermittent so I wired the R7284U as such. Got it all wired in & did the installer set-up. When I go to fire it up, it's stuck at standby & won't proceed to ignition trial.
I followed the wiring schematics in the manual & the only question pertaining to that end of it was a bit of confusion with the intermittent wiring of the ignition & motor. I wired it same as the R8184G was with the ignition wire hooked in with the motor & not using the ignition pigtail from the controller. The neutrals are tied together as before. Appears to me to be what the schematic is calling for. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway, no matter what I've tried I can't get it to move past standby. It's not showing messages or any problems.
CAD screen shows 999999 with secondary closed & drops into double digits with it open & light getting at it.
Thermostat shows TT Config On Limit Open.
I'm not sure if that's what they should be or not.

R7284U Installer setup is set as follows:
Valve On Delay=0
Ignition Trial=15
Burner Off Delay=0
TT Configuration On=Yes
Spark In On Delay=No
Spark During Run=Yes
Allowed Resets=3
Appliance Type=Furnace
Show Diagnostics=Yes

I'm hoping it's as simple as I have something set incorrectly there.
I've tried jumping the tt screws terminals, both with the tt wired in & without.
I tried unplugging the CAD & trying to start. Also I tried jumping the CAD terminals with it unplugged & starting. Still nothing but a standby.
I'm at a loss as to how to get this thing beyond standby mode.
As I said, I'm not 100% certain I'm not off on the settings & wiring so I'm hoping someone here can correct me if I'm not quite right on something or if there is anything else I should be checking.
Presuming everything is fine with the install I would think it would be a defective unit, but I'm not sure of an absolute way of checking it to be sure before I send it back for a replacement.
Thanks in advance for any & all help, Caldy.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-11, 02:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have to tie the Limit (red?) & L1 (black?) wires together & connect them to the incoming power. You should use blue for the ignition transformer & orange to the burner motor. Do you have an electric oil valve? If so connect it to the terminal marked valve (violet?).

Old 12-16-11, 04:01 PM
Thank You Grady. You The Man.
I was hoping it was something I wasn't see'n & not a bad unit.
I was wondering if the ignition wire should be separate to get the correct reporting & the longer I reviewed the manual I started 2nd guessing myself.
The Limit wire I had no clue about.
I'm going to review the manual again. I don't think it's very clear on that stuff at all, but then again, I'm not a pro just maintaining a few rentals.
No valve.
Thanks to you, future installs should be cake!
Do the installer settings look right to you from the descriptions I provided?
They made sense to me, but then again.........lol.
Anyway, I really appreciate your help, knowledge & promptness.
I've followed this forum for a while & you guys provide a great service. I commend you all.
Thanks again!
Wishing you & yours a Very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, Caldy.

Old 12-16-11, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suggest changing the "spark during run" to "no". Other than that, your settings look fine.
The first time I set up a R7184U (model prior to the R7284U) I had trouble with connecting the L1 & Limit wires too so don't feel bad. You are absolutely right in the instructions not being clear.

Old 03-14-13, 06:07 AM
You are absolutely right in the instructions not being clear.
You can say that again.

For "TT Configured" does "yes" or "no" mean to activate the internal jumper? Or in other words, does "yes" or "no" mean I actually have a thermostat connected to TT?

Last edited by Walt_PA; 03-14-13 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Fixing typo
Old 03-14-13, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe "yes" means you would have a thermostat connected to the primary.
The easiest way to confirm this is to disconnect the thermostat wires from the primary (if a stat is connected), apply power to the appliance, & check for 24 volts AC between terminas T & T3. If 24 vac is detected, the control is configured for use with a thermostat.

You can also check for continuity between the same terminals. Continuity would indicate the internal jumper was engaged.

Last edited by Grady; 03-14-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-24-13, 12:53 PM
R7284

I have one that was running fine, I replaces the igniter electrodes, nozzle, and filter.
It ran fine for a day, then stopped.
Now it's on standby, I'm pretty sure that's where it's supposed to be, and wont run for heat, or hot water????
Any ideas?

Old 03-24-13, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since the control is displaying "standby", it sounds like you either don't have it configured properly or don't have a call for heat. Is the relay on the aquastat pulled it?

Old 03-25-13, 12:26 PM
I don't know I did not look, but the tt is working, I just don't know if it is getting any voltage, can't find my meter, I just moved in and can't find all my stuff.....
I did try jumping the tt lines, nothing happened....

Old 03-25-13, 12:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Which T-T terminals did you jump? There would be a set on the aquastat and another on the 7284. You may need to jump both for testing purposes. What is the number on the aquastat?

Old 03-26-13, 04:25 AM
well I had another person stop by and we got the thing running, but I had to go to work, and he never came back to check on it and it ran all day and night while I was at work, so I think the unit has to be replaced....