Amana Air Command High Efficiency 80 Gas Furnace - Burners wont stay on

Old 12-17-11, 10:31 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Amana Air Command High Efficiency 80 Gas Furnace - Burners wont stay on

I have an Amana Air command 80 gas furnace, mounted horizontally in a crawlspace. When the thermostat signals for heat, the induction fan comes on, then the hot surface igniter, then the burners ignite, but after a few seconds, the burners turn off. Ive crawled under the house and watched, it appears the problem is that sometimes(the problem is intermittent) only 2 of the burners ignite, and I think the safety sensors are kicking the flame off. I watched this morning and on the third try, all 4 burners came on and heating commenced. I have had a tech come out and he said that the burners were clogged by rust, he cleaned them and it was fixed. I dont know if he realises the problem is intermittent (I was not here when he came out). An help is appreciated...Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-11, 10:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The most common reason for an ignition problem of the kind you describe is that the burner ports are onstructed by rust and dirt, just as you describe. There are typically carryover ports that are designed to carry the flame from burner to burner.

More than likely, the cleaning job on the burners was not done properly and needs to be repeated. No doubt your repair service will cheerfully come out to do a better job.

Locating a furnace in a crawl space is hard on the equipment. Moisture often condenses on steel surfaces such as the burners, and rather commonly repairs and maintenance work on furnaces in crawl spaces isn't done very well.