York furnace starts then flame turns off

Old 12-20-11, 11:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York furnace starts then flame turns off

My York furnace seems to start okay, when turned on. After about 30 seconds a valve cliks and the flame stops. Blowers continue to run. I'm getting an error message of 3 blinks. I have checked the pressure switch and it is closing and opening when inducer starts, with 24 volts through it. Any ideas where to go next?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-11, 02:28 PM
Okay, some more info. After the attic (where the furnace is located) warms up. The furnace seems to be working fine. Bad sensor somewhere??????

Old 12-20-11, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What is the explanation for the three blink code? Usually this will be found on the furnace, often on the inside of the fan compartment cover.

Describe in more detail the sequence of events that takes place once the thermostat calls for heat.

Old 12-20-11, 03:29 PM
"3 flashes: This indicates the normally open pressure switch contact did not close at the beginning of the heat cycle. This could be caused by a number of problems; faulty inducer, blocked vent pipe, broken pressure switch hose or faulty pressure switch." Turn the thermostat to heat. Inducer motor starts. Ignighter turns red. Gas begins to flow/light. Circulation fan turns on. Heater at this time seems to bo working properly. After about 30 seconds a click sound and the gas shuts off. Fault code begins to blink 3 times.

Old 12-20-11, 05:39 PM
Unfortunately, a wide variety of things can cause the pressure switch to open.

Pretty much anything plugging up the heat exchanger, venting system, drain or the pressure switch system itself can be the cause.

This is presumably something of a marginal situation, since the pressure switch actually closes for a while which allows the burners to light.

So you need to methodically check all of those systems to see if you can identify the problem.

Old 12-21-11, 08:06 AM
The pressure switch is not opening. The switch is open before the furnace is turned on. Once the inducer motor starts, the switch closes and remains closed while the both fans are running. The gas flow stops/flame goes out. Then I get the error message of 3 blinks. I'm not sure why I'm getting that error, as the pressure switch seems to be working properly.

Old 12-21-11, 08:27 AM
I'd check to verify that the power to the circuit board is remaining on and not being interrupted by something --- a loose wire or anything else.

If that's the case, then replace the circuit board. It's failing to operate the way it should.