York Diamond 90 Gas pressure adjustment.

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-11, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York Diamond 90 Gas pressure adjustment.

I have a York Diamond 90 which runs on propane. I am trying to find the spec on the gas valve set pressure for propane use. The installation instruction go in depth about how to set up natural gas but no mention of propane. My valve is clearly marked LP. The parts manual lists a propane kit with a model number INP0347. Figured I could look up the part and get a manual for it but all I can find associated with that number is thr page in the manual I already have! Tried setting the pressure to 3.5" WC but unit would not light. Unit will light at 5" WC. Only reason I adjusted it was that I found it at 8" WC and thought that was too high! Seems reliable now.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-11, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Setting the gas pressure correctly determines whether the furnace will operate safely. It is critical that it be set properly.

Frankly, you don't have any idea of how to do that.

For your own safety and to prevent damage to the equipment, I suggest you find a skilled person to determine the proper gas pressure and correctly set it for you.

Old 12-21-11, 08:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Kevin,
For your own safety & that of your family, PLEASE shut the furnace down & call a service company. Propane is not friendly stuff. It will go BOOM & even if it doesn't, you could be producing massive amounts of carbon monoxide.

Old 12-21-11, 09:04 PM
Thanks for your concern but this ain't my first rodeo.

Both of you could have better answered my question by referring me to Technical Service ST-001-07 Residential Gas Furnace LP Conversion Kit Changes & Consolidations.

Old 12-21-11, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
Thanks for your concern but this ain't my first rodeo.
What are you trying to do exactly?

A NG valve and LP valve are two different animals. The W.C is listed on the side. NG is around 3.5" and LP around 10".

Now orfices come into play on the burner also. Do you have a manometer?

So If not your first rodeo then I hope you dont blow yourself up or cause harm to anyone in the home.

You know the story of people waking up dead right?

Mike NJ

Old 12-22-11, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The reason the others are advising to be cautious and hire a pro, nat gas ratings are about 3.5" w/c and LP is around 10"w/c. Please note i didn't say exactly, actually some LP rated furnaces are as low as 3.5(+-). A maladjusted burner(s) can produce large amounts of carbon monoxide with flame roll-out that can also burn wiring. Knowing which furnace and the mfg specs are essential. Most techs will also set the the burner up with a combustion analyzer. Please don't take their words as an insult, merely a safety issue.

Old 12-22-11, 10:34 AM
Thanks for reading the post Mike!
What are you trying to do exactly?
Well in the beginning: We had a lightning strike near by and I found the breaker to the furnace tripped. Reset the breaker. Furnace would light off but burner would time out (4 seconds) flashed code 7. Cleaned the hot gas or flame present sensor. No change. Drove 50 mile to civilization (rural Missouri) and bought new sensor (and burner control module while I was there). Replaced flame sensor, started unit. No change. Replaced control module. 3 light off attempts and goes into lockout (1 flash). This is progress but not success! Checked gas pressure and found it near 8 WC. That started the quest to find the correct setting and this thread!
A NG valve and LP valve are two different animals. The W.C is listed on the side. NG is around 3.5" and LP around 10".
I realize the significance but orifice size should level the field and provide the same Pressure to the burner throat. I never expected that much of a difference. The valve was marked LP but no other information that was visible without removal. The parts manual listed a propane kit 1NP0347. I was searching for an INP0347. There is all sorts of information on the 1NP0347 ! The Service document answered my questions.
Now orfices come into play on the burner also. Do you have a manometer? Home made! Vinyl tubing, colored water, and a ruler.
So If not your first rodeo then I hope you dont blow yourself up or cause harm to anyone in the home.
I couldn't have gone to sleep if I thought there was a chance!
You know the story of people waking up dead right?

Old 12-22-11, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have a manometer? Home made! Vinyl tubing, colored water, and a ruler.
This is not an acceptable manometer and is almost guaranteed wrong.

Old 12-22-11, 10:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with HVACtech.

You need a good measuring instrument to do critical tasks accurately.

Old 12-23-11, 02:31 PM
Darwin award coming soon...

Old 12-23-11, 06:47 PM
So far I have heard from two moderators and one authority and I feel they can benefit form reading the site rules.

DoItYourself.com Community Forum member postings must be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topic discussion. Never degrade any other person and/or the information any member provides. Treat each other with the highest respect, dignity, professionalism and an overall highest regards at all times.

Publicly second-guessing, harassing, belittling and/or ridiculing anyone and/or anything posted by another member are all strictly prohibited. Moderators and members donate their time to make the Forums a Better Community. Content that may be interpreted as offensive, objectionable and/or inappropriate, in a reasonable persons view, is prohibited.

Yes I am insulted by your unprofessional behavior.

Read more: Announcements - Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces

Old 12-23-11, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We are looking out for YOUR best interest and safety. Please take that to heart. You need to do things properly, especially when dealing with LP.

Closed Thread