Buderus in a small space

Old 12-23-11, 03:25 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Buderus in a small space

Happy Holiday's,
I just recently finished my basement, and the GC made an 7/7 foot room for my Buderus. I had an HVAC professional pipe in fresh air using a 4'' aluminum flex pipe into the small room using a fan system. When the Buderus clicks on, the fan goes into action. My situation is this:
- 5500 CFM
- Buderus G115 - had it for 7 years
- Gas - Wayne Burner (converted 3 years ago)
- Balloon Frame house - Chimney is in the middle of the house, output venting is through the chimney. Stainless steel liner in the chimney.
- fresh air fan is 2 1/2 feet above the burner, and a foot behind it, blowing air horizontally when the system is working. HVAC guy said to keep the vent, to enhance circulation.
- the room is vented above the door, across from the fan and burner.

We brought the fresh air fan pipe into the room to primarily bring fresh air into the burner/small room. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, but is this a sufficient set up? Before my basement was finished, I had nothing, it was in an open space, in a 100+ year old house. (yes, I heat the entire neighborhood!

Last edited by TwoBoots; 12-23-11 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-23-11, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
What is the 5500 CFM? Certainly not the fan size. What is the btu input of the boiler? Any other fuel burning appliances, such as a water heater, in the room?

Old 12-23-11, 05:39 PM
T
200,000 BTUs,(hourly max), 65,000 (hourly min) it says on the burner, and there is a hot water heater with the system. 5500 CFM is what the Buderus rep told me over the phone, itmhas ro domwith the space ai guess. It is a G115/4. I thought the Field CAS-4 fan in a can would fit the bill, but I was told I don't need exhaust, just fresh air, so they put in a 110v fresh air intake ind. motor. That's all I know.

Old 12-24-11, 04:50 AM
T
All Set

I just answered my question. My gas burner flame is blue when the furnace is firing, which equates to proper combustion. I guess my set up is efficient.

Old 12-24-11, 06:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flame color is not a represtation of efficiency by any stretch of the imagination. The boiler needs to be checked with instruments.
With a max input of 200,000 btu/hr, the CAS-4 would work well & is interlocked with the burner to prevent firing if the CAS-4 does not operate for some reason.

Old 12-24-11, 08:11 AM
T
The HVAC guys are coming back next week. I will ask for a firm measurement. I was more concerned about it being a hazard to my family. My unofficial conclusion with the powered air flow, and wall bent and blue flame is that it is safe. Optimum efficiency to be determined.

Old 12-24-11, 08:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hey, Oil Xperts!

What do you think of this powered combustion air supply?

At least in gas furnaces, that would not be approved to supply air into a confined space. There are descriptions of air supplies into confined spaces which require two air supplies sized according to the burner input.

Also, is this fan system switched on only if the burner is on, or does it run 24/7?

Old 12-24-11, 08:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
S/P,
This is an oil fired boiler converted to gas. Approved by Buderus?
As far as I know, powered combustion air intake systems are approved IF it is interlocked with the burner system but you are far more familiar with gas burners than I.

Old 12-25-11, 10:20 AM
T
Yes, it is a converted Wayne, approved by Buderus. The air supply intake fan is interlocked with the on/off intake of the burner. When the burner is on, the fan goes on, when the burner shuts down, the fan turns off. The fan is locked into the boiler. I called Buderus, and they recommended this set up, fan in a can CAS4. My HVAC guy concurred. As I said, the flame is blue, my CO2 alarm right outside my boiler room has been quiete. My primary concern is safety. Too be candid, optimum efficiency is secondary.

Also, the air fan has no damper, so there is a light stream of cold air floating in when it's not on. This actually helps keep the boiler room cooler when the fan is not activated. I have an old hot water system, those those pipes generate a lot of heat inside the room.

PS - I also have a 200 sq inch vent above the door

Last edited by TwoBoots; 12-25-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-25-11, 12:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a good job was done but I'd still want a combustion analysis done just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-25-11, 02:06 PM
T
I will ask for one Monday.

Old 12-26-11, 03:43 PM
T
HVAC tech came, the combustion numbers were fine. I learned a lot about Buderus, and gas in general. The air can connected to the burner, the vents in the room, and some other things I had going on made that room more than adequate for fresh air intake. My house was built with 2 x 8's. The entire room is unfinished, with clear shots to the foundation via the ceiling joists helps my cause. Most of these math equations you see from academia are bunk for the most part. Every house, room,system, source has its own story and unique set ups. In the end, if the flame is blue, the combustion is sufficient, any Buderus/gas owner should be in good shape. This has been a good leaning experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: