Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Payne Furnace 90. Can not restart automatically when Thermostate call for heat

Old 12-26-11, 12:00 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a Payne Furnace, it has been acting strange lately. It will not start automatically when Thermostate calls for heat. But it will start if I turn off the switch of furnace and turn on again, the furnace will start. It was acting like this about once a week for the last three weeks, and now it just need to turn off and on the switch each day.
Two month ago, some work was done to get it in a normal working condition. It has a new limit switch. Cleaned condensation drain -- it was plugged and caused furnace not working properly last time.
Why do I need to reset the switch each time to get it started?
Anyone can help?

Old 12-26-11, 04:57 AM
S
furnace

your furnace is going into lockout. you have to look for the circuit board with small lights on it. it should flash a series of times ,then klook on the inner door cover to see what code you are getting. report what code you get.

Old 12-26-11, 10:28 AM
P
When fan starts if I reset the switch, blink once and twice code 12, but when burner starts and motor runs, light stay on the whole time. two months ago, I had problem which gave me code 13, I have replaced with new limit switch. But it was not the switch problem. I later found out it was due to condensate drain get plugged and water can't go anyway, so unit get shut off after running for awhile before reach thermostate set temperature. This time it runs to temperature thermostate calls for if I reset the power switch. But I have to do this very often.

Old 12-26-11, 11:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

Sorry. I find this ambiguous and unintelligible.

Please describe what is happening in sequence and in more detail.

A Carrier 1-2 diagnostic code is an "other" code indicating a non specified problem of some kind.

Old 12-26-11, 11:55 AM
P
Hello Seattle Pioneer, Thanks for helping out. Basically the furnace needs to reset the switch to get it run again each time it reachs the temperature at Thermostate asks for. I have to switch off/on the switch at the furnace unit to get it going again. I only notice code 12 when unit just get started.

Old 12-26-11, 12:21 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
code 12 is produced anytime the furnace control has lost power and upon power returning there is a call for heat present. This code is present for safety reasons to cool off the heat exchanger if the unit was in the middle of a call for heat upon the power outage. After 90 seconds of blower on the code resets and normal operations resume if there are no other problems.

Have you found your problem? It sounded like you did with the condensate trap.

Old 12-26-11, 12:44 PM
P
Hello hvacteachfw, thank you for explaining code 12. I did fix condensate issue before, now the unit needs reset each time to get it going. No other code indication. I am still trying to figure out why it will not automatically start the furnace when temperature of room drop below the set temperature on the thermostate.

Old 12-26-11, 12:59 PM
ok. You need to check for a diagnostic code while the stat is calling for heat and the unit is not operating. If no diagnostic code present, you will need to make the condition happen while the blower door is off (tape the door switch) so that you can check voltage between W and C while the unit is acting up.

Old 12-26-11, 01:02 PM
Hello HVAC Tech ---

Thanks for improving upon the explanation given by the Carrier diagnostic light code sheet!

Old 12-26-11, 01:08 PM
>

Hello ph---

You need to be A LOT more careful, clear and descriptive when you post. Your comments are usually vague and it's difficult to understand what you might be trying to describe.

Take the extra time to describe what is happening in detail. That way if you are using an odd term the additional detail helps put it in context so that it can be understood.

Old 12-29-11, 04:39 PM
P
Hello Gentlemen, I decided to install a new limit switch, clean up the condensation drain again. The furnace is running fine now. It can restart automatically when thermostate calls for heat. I will report back if something goes wrong again. Thank you for all your help.

Old 01-12-12, 08:53 PM
P
The furnace is acting up again, after a couple weeks of good work. I noticed light flash code 21. Anything I need to do?

The furnace is running now after I turn the switch off and on again. But I think it will most likely stop after a few good run.

Old 01-12-12, 08:57 PM
Old 01-12-12, 09:01 PM
P
read code 21. Now where do I start to check those, help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: