Room edition is colder than rest of house

Old 01-03-12, 02:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Room edition is colder than rest of house

Hello everyone I am a not so handy man and I have been living in my house for 6 years and it had a converted garage into family room. I believe the insulation and or duct work that was ran is poor to say the least. It has a crawl space however I am a big guy that probably would get stuck if he tried to get in there to double check for leaks. I am looking for ideas to heat this room better. Is there a fan to attach to increase air flow in the duct work or insulation or space heater might be better? Please help!!!

Old 01-03-12, 02:58 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
P.S. I have access to duct work on the south side of this room through the basement and my reasoning for the idea of a fan for duct work is because the furnace is on the far south side of the house basement.

Old 01-03-12, 03:08 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi Chef
There are a couple of steps you need to take to determine where the changes need to be made. Here are some questions and thoughts.
1. If there a return air duct from that room or an open door to where there is a return? Having its own return would be best.
2. When additions are made and simply added to an existing heating system, the results can often be marginal as you are seeing. A heat loss calculation would tell us if the system can handle the new space.
3. Have you done any air sealing or insulating to improve the performance of the house. Those steps can reduce the total heat loss and give you extra capacity for the addition.
4. What size supply duct is currently running out to this room and how long is the run?

Bud

Old 01-03-12, 05:21 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Only way to heat and cool that area would be to upsize the unit and to make the proper changes to the duct

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: