Rheem 80plus furnace making clicking noise

Old 01-10-12, 09:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem 80plus furnace making clicking noise

Recently my Rheem 80 plus furnace is starting to make clicking noises. The symptom is: the furnace pilot light turns on fine, then the gas lights up, but it'll go out, and the clicking noise starts, it'll go on for 5-10 min until eventually the gas lights up again, then the furnace runs OK. I've tried cleaning the flame sensor already. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-12, 09:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you have an intermittent pilot ignition system that lights the pilor each time the thermostat calls for heat. Is that correct?

Usually the gas for the pilot burner and spark turn on together. Once the pilot is lit, the spark shuts off and the main burner gas turns on, and the main burners light off the pilot light. The main burners and pilot burner remain lit until the thermostat is satisfied, at which point the main burners and pilot burner are shut off.

Review what is happening in your furnace carefully and report in detail what is happening.

Old 01-10-12, 10:21 AM
Thanks for helping! I think you are right. It's an intermittent pilot ignition system. Here is the sequence: the pilot burner is lit, the main burner gas turns on, then a few seconds later the main burner turns off, and I hear clicking, it clicks until the main burner turns on again(after clicking for quite a long time), then the system works, until the next time. Hope that's clear.

Old 01-10-12, 12:03 PM
No, it's not clear at all.

When the main burner shuts off, does the pilot burner remain lit? Does the spark turn on or stay on? Where is the clicking coming from?

You need to describe what is happening accurately, in sequence and IN DETAIL if you expect to get meaningful help.

I've given you a description of what should be happening --- in sequence and in detail. If you can't do as much describing what is actually happening, you need to call a pro who can do that for you.

Old 01-10-12, 02:33 PM
I apologize for not describing accurately enough. When the main burner shuts off, the pilot burner remains lit, the flame sensor remains bright orange from heating by the pilot. The clicking comes from a square box connected to the gas line. How can I tell if the spark turns on or stay on? Appreciate the help.

Old 01-10-12, 02:53 PM
Thank you. I expect that the square box is the gas valve ---

Can you post the make and model of the gas valve which should be listed on it.

You'll need to measure the voltage across the gas valve using a multimeter.

I'm supposing the ignition control module is either providing inadequate voltage or the gas valve is getting the correct voltage but is defective and not staying open.

The correct voltage would be 24 VAC or thereabouts.

Old 01-11-12, 10:55 PM
The gas valve says Robertshaw on it. I can't find the model#. May be the label got peeled off. I measured the voltage between the red wire and the grey wire. It reads about 11V when the thing is clicking, and goes to 0 when the burner finally turns on. The reading between the red wire and the yellow wire is 0.

Old 01-11-12, 11:41 PM
Try connecting one test lead to the furnace sheet metal as ground and measure the AC voltage with the other test lead.

Post the make and model of the ignition control module.

Old 01-12-12, 11:17 PM
The make and model of the ignition control module is Robertshaw SP-715A. The Gas valve is Robertshaw 7100.
There are 3 wires P(blue) C(yellow) M(red)
idle state: all read about 0
when it click: P(blue): 26V, C(yellow):0V, M(red): fluctuates wildly or read 1.6V
when it finally starts the burner: P(blue):25.5V, C(yellow):0V, M(red): 25.5V

Old 01-13-12, 12:49 AM
The ignition control module is not providing adequate voltage to open the main burner gas valve reliably --- that's why you are getting the clicking noise.

]Replace the ignition control module.

Old 01-13-12, 08:52 AM
Thanks. I'll try to replace the ignition module. I see on ebay there is a Robertshaw 780-715U. Is it a good replacement for the SP715A?

Old 01-13-12, 09:38 AM
Usually the differences are minor, but you'd have to find detailed specification for each model and compare any differences to be sure.

Old 01-19-12, 01:41 PM
Replaced ignition control module. Problem solved. Thanks!