Furnace problem, please help!?

Old 01-14-12, 06:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace problem, please help!?

Ok just so you all know this is my very first time looking at furnace, and have no clue what anything is called, or what to look for, im just trying to help my mother out and save her some $$, with that being said heres all the info i think you'll need to know, Oh and thanks in advance! and idk if its gas or electric?

Amana Air Command 80 SSE
Model #guia070830
MFG #P1206602F
Serial #9502213186

Now heres the problem, its been working fine all winter so far. All of a sudden last night it just started blowing out cold air. I went down and took the panels off just to see if there was anything obvious i could do (not knowing how crazy that stuff was) and held the button down that the panel usually keeps down to get the furnace going. I noticed this BLUE ON and OFF switch, didn't mess with it at all first, now with holding this black button down the furnace would click on, and id see some light in the box a few seconds later it would just die off (with the furnace still running, blowing out cold air). Now, just out of curiosity i turned the BLUE ON and OFF switch to where the OFF position was on the top, i seemed to get a way better reaction this way, when i held the black button down the light would appear and a few seconds later the blue flames would start shootin out and blowing out hot air! It seems to be working fine now, but shutin off about every oh..7-10 minutes, just to turn back on a second later, i guess what im wondering is it safe for the BLUE switch to be off? what is its purpose? because when its on, like im guessing it should be, because thats where it was originally at, then the furnace wont work, but with it off, it seems to be just fine? Hmmm, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Heres pics

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...redownload.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...yline410/2.jpg

http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/...yline410/1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-12, 07:22 AM
First, if I'm right, you are turning the gas valve off and on. Shouldn't need or want to do that IMO.
Go to:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...k2AUvg&cad=rja

I believe this is the service manual that covers your machine. Go to p. 119 and see the trouble shooting section. Try to follow that until someone here can provide more insight.
Please describe in order what you see, hear in order when the system calls for heat. Does the inducer fan run, does the ignitor glow, do the burners light...etc...? Is there a light flashing anywhere that might provide you a trouble code (code usually on back of one of the front panels)?

See the second sticky at the top of this forum's thread listing for what you should provide when posting.

Old 01-14-12, 07:37 AM
When the furnace kicks on, the fan starts running, ignitor glows, and with that valve ON the burners will not light but the furnace keeps running (fans) and blowing out cold air, with the valve OFF the burner lights and seems to stay lit for a few minutes then goes out, while the furnace is still running, then a few minutes later the burner will light again, and so on. No light as far as i can till, in the control box in the bottom part of the furnace, when i take the cover off i can see a list of a few problems there could be when there is this certain light flashing, but it does not flash at all, when i press the black button to get the furnace goin the light will come on for just a second, and never re appears, will go check that post now.

Old 01-14-12, 07:43 AM
You may need to tape that lower button closed to read the flashes from the board. Won't run with the panel off and the button not depressed.

Old 01-14-12, 07:45 AM
The furnace is located in the basement, im in OH so warm summers...cold winters, thermostat is a just a simple dial one? as far as the other info i don't know about it and don't know how to find it out, if i could get some help as to finding that out ill get it asap!! Oh and my mother purchased this home around 1997, the furnace was in it then, so not sure exactly how old it is

Old 01-14-12, 07:48 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
ok. Sounds like you running out on limit and by the looks of that filter it is plugged. Replace it! There should be a small window in the blower door that will allow you to see the flash code with the door on. WHen you remove the door you remove the power and reset the control. IF you can not see the flash (often times it is very hard to see through the window) then take some electrical tape and tape the door switch so when you remove the door the board contiues to have power and you can get the diagnostic flash code.

Old 01-14-12, 07:56 AM
Will get a filter asap! :0 and yes i see this tiny window to see the flash im gonna go check it out. one other thing i want to ask, notice in one of the pictures you can clearly see the blue on and off switch, and in that picture the OFF is upside down ane the ON is regular, commen sense tells me thats how it should be if i want it on? and do i want it on? heh...im no expert but wouldnt the off be on the bottom to where you could clearly read OFF? i stated that i sswitched them to where the furnace seems to kind of work properly...i don't know how or why but maybe it could have been switched to off and i just turned it on to make it work normal??

Old 01-14-12, 08:10 AM
IF you examine the gas valve more closely you will notice a line on the bottom indicating what postion it is actually in. That valve can be mounted in any position. Just because it says off when it is right side up does not mean that is the off position.

Everytime you take the blower door off you remove power from the control board and it resets any type of lockout or fault that may have occured.

Old 01-14-12, 08:21 AM
Alright, after looking and watching for a few minutes for some kind of flash, there is none. So, i'm guessing this is good, I examined the gas valve more closely and it looks like theres an arrow below the knob, where the on position is at now, and the furnace seems to be working correctly. So, i'm guessing this is where it should be at? "on" so the gas can make it work? I guess i'm just a little confused as to why it would be off in the first place and why it would have been working while being off, is it dangerous working with this knob? could the furnace itself flip the knob for some saftey reason?

Old 01-14-12, 08:27 AM
it didnt move on its own! I think you have a intermittent problem that you are not finding. Also the flash code will not show up until the furnace has a fault IE
It seems to be working fine now, but shutin off about every oh..7-10 minutes, just to turn back on a second later
When this happens is when you will get a code. You may need to try tapping the door switch as suggested earlier.

Old 01-14-12, 08:31 AM
Ok, i'm gonna check that out then, ill keep you posted, thank you bye the way, all the help is very much appreciated

Old 01-14-12, 08:37 AM
Ok after i went down this time i noticed it flashing immediatley, 4 flashes, on the box it says this means "Open Limit Switch" what does this mean?

Old 01-14-12, 08:40 AM
REplace your filter! it means blocked air flow. remove the filter for now. If that does not resolve the issue then the evap coil may need cleaning if you have a/c also.

Old 01-14-12, 09:10 AM
Ok took the filter out, and it hasn't stopped working yet! i just watched it for some time and no flashing and its heating up the house great!! so looks like im gonna get a new filter, pretty cool it was that simple, thanks alot for all the help, our family is very thankful!

Old 01-14-12, 09:34 AM
How often do you replace the filter?
Stick to about once a month and all will be well. IMO I'd used MERV 8 or lower.