Natural gas Carrier high eficientcy Furnace won't work right

Old 01-18-12, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural gas Carrier high eficientcy Furnace won't work right

It will only heat to about 66 degrees no mater what I set the thermistat at , I live in Minnesota and it will be below 0 tonight I am worried that it will quit comletely, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-12, 07:39 PM
PULL THE STAT off the subbase and jump R to W for now... heat the place up that will give you a straight heat call till you break R to W.what type stat do you have is it set for PM and current time do you have sleep/wake/return /leave settings and whats those temps set for...lets hear back...

Old 01-18-12, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You need to provide a more detailed explanation of what is or isn't happening.

For example:
set thermostat for heat to come on - purge fan starts - ignitor glows or sparks - gas valve clicks on - burners light - ignitor turns off - main blower starts - furnace runs until set temperature is reached.

Yours may be a little different, but you need to observe what is happening and tell us.

Old 01-19-12, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the help guys I've done some studying on it, when I first turn it on, the blower comes on, I get a 12 code signal at the blinking lights, it then cycles to the fan to draft the gas fumes and I get a good solid light on for a while then it gives me a 31 code which is a pressure switch problem but mulitple things other then the switch can cause it. while it is going with the 31 code i can tap the pressure switch and it goes to the code light being on steady , which says it is running good, after a while it goes back to the 31 code and I tap it again and I get a solid on code led for a minute or so but doesn't that say it is the pressure switch

Old 01-19-12, 09:09 PM
no, it does not say the pressure switch is bad. The ONLY way to make that call is with the use of a manometer to check the pressure to the switch. This should be doen by a seasoned professional.

The code 12 is normal when the thermostat is calling for heat and the furnace power is turned on.

Old 01-24-12, 06:44 PM
Changed the pressure switch

And this is what is happening now, it seem to fire correctly, then it of for whatever, 10 minutes , starts again, giving me a 31 code, while just the exhaust fan (PURGE)running , it runs for a couple of minutes then turns off ,without the burner starting and a short time later, 5-10 minutes, it cycles on with no error code and works great. So it fires every other cycle. Is there a fume clearing cycle in this carrier weathermaker 9200

Old 01-24-12, 06:48 PM
no "flame clearing cycle" The furnace should be examined by a competent service technician. Research carrier class action lawsuit.

Old 01-24-12, 07:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
With a pressure switch lockout on a condensing furnace I would normally say to check the drain but hvactechfw has a good point.
A hazardous condition may exist which should be checked by a licensed contractor.

Do you have carbon monoxide detectors?

Old 01-25-12, 06:04 PM
does this make a difference

I had a furnace man out, I asume he was licenced had a big yellow page ad he said to get a new pressure switch because I could get it cheaper , I had told him the price I could get it for. I did put it in and it works every other cycle. It works every cycle when the intake pipe is disconected from the furnace , works great then, So do I give up on this last furnace man and call Carrier. You have to understand that I'm on a fixed budget and just calling anyone is against my better judgement. I've done all this my whole life. Until they just get so complicated I don't understand it anymore, this may be one of them. The only reason I call one this time is I cut the end of my finger off with a router just a couple of days ago and I can't do much right now.

Old 01-25-12, 06:25 PM
THE HEAT EXCHANGER MUST BE EXAMINED!!!!!!!!! Having said that, get the heat exchanger examined. Also get the heat exchanger examined.

on a serious note - ensure you have no sags in the exhaust pipe. The proper way to check the pressure switch operation is with a manometer, which a trained professional should have on his truck.

Old 01-25-12, 06:43 PM
Ok I get it , I'm going to have to pay twice because it seems to me that if it is a possible carrier recall it better be a carrier furnace man. The exhaust pipe is on a slope all the way and the pressure switch is new and there is not a drop of water or a stain from water or a spot of rust under the fan. I think you can sense my reluctance to pay for anyone and in this case twice.

Old 01-25-12, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unfortunately, there are a wide variety of things that can cause a pressure switch to fail to make, or to work erratically.

It's likely that something is impairing the air flow through the furnace --- enough so that the pressure switch wont close reliably.

Your repairman did a poor job for you. A bad pressure switch is the reason the pressure switch wont close about 2% of the time --- the other 98% of the time, the cause is impaired air flow not a bad pressure switch.

The only responsible way to check the pressure switch is to use a manometer to measure the pressure being applied to the pressure switch and see if it's OK and the pressure switch isn't closing when it should.

Your guy didn't due that, so 49 times out of fifty replacing the pressure switch does nothing because there was nothing wrong with it.

The entire venting system and furnace need to be carefully inspected to identify and correct the problem you are experiencing. A common problem is sags that allow water to puddle and impair air flow.

Another common problem is that a leaf get sucked into the air intake pipe and impairs the air flow. That would be another thing you might check that could be the cause of the problem. Pull the air intake pipe out at the furnace and hope to see a leaf sitting there.

Are you feeling LUCKY tonight, partner?

Old 01-25-12, 10:06 PM
Runs perfectly with the intake pipe not connected.

Old 01-25-12, 10:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
OK--- start by inspecting that for any debris, sags or obstructions.

If none, reconnect it and disconnect the exhaust vent and try that.

Also, condensing furnaces have a water drainage system to drain away the condensate. The tubes and traps can become plugged with mold or other debris. Disassemble and inspect everything.

Check the tubing for cracks, holes or wear.

Remoce the inducer motor assembly from the furnace and inspect the fan for plugging, broken blades or other defects. Does the fan turn freely or is it stiff, indicating failed inducer motor bearings?

Any signs of black soot in the heat exchanger exposed when the inducer assembly is removed?

In short, you need to inspect everything and look for any defects.

Fun, eh?

Old 01-26-12, 10:56 PM
Dynamite, I'll give it a try, it may take a while ,I'm pretty much down to one hand ,I cut the end of my middle finger off with a router about 7 days ago , I'm right handed and it is the right hand. So I'll do it slowly. First I'm going to see if we can run a pipe cleaning system down the pipe (5 bends) ,My Buddy is a plumber. I'm getting a good suck on the end of it when I put my hand over it. There definitely could still be something blocking it partway. No sags in the .intake but I really didn't look at the exhaust. I've gone through the drainage system, lots of black gooey water but no obstructions. My question is, if I take of the inducer motor( that the one that pumps air in and exhaust out of the furnace firing chamber , is that correct) and housing off ,is there a way to check tolerances or am I just looking for broken parts and plugged areas when I put it back together, do I seal with a sealer, if so what kind? So will I be able to see the secondary heat exchanger when I take of the intake fan (Inducer fan)because I'm getting responses saying That may be the problem, I would like to take a look at it. I was asked to look for water or rust under the furnace fan and there is nothing ,no water, no water spots or rust. But this is a recall Furnace for the secondary heat exchanger but my impression is it is like pulling teeth to get them to pay. Thanks by the way gives me something to look for.