Old Honeywell Furnace Keeps Coming On For A Few Seconds, Then Turns Off

Old 01-22-12, 07:52 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Question Old Honeywell Furnace Keeps Coming On For A Few Seconds, Then Turns Off

Oh dear ... oh dear ... I have a very old honeywell furnace. It's at least 32 years old if not older , but how old exactly I don't know.

The problem is the furnace will come on for 6-8 seconds then shut down for a minute of so then start again. It is keeping the house warm, the temp is maintaining. I have it set at 65 and the outside temp is 34. I just don't understand why it keeps coming on for a few seconds then shuts down.

I even tried to set the blower switch from auto to manual but it does the same thing. I lower the temp on the thermostat and it still comes on and off.

Can anyone tell me what the deal is. I'm happy I'm still getting heat, but why the off and on thing? That can't be a good thing.:NO NO NO:

Old 01-22-12, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Honeywell doesn't make furnaces.

Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Obtain the make and model of the furnace off the rating plate in the burner compartment and post it here.

Observe the sequence of events that occurs at the furnace when you turn up the thermostat and post that sequence of events in order and in detail.

Old 01-23-12, 10:11 AM
Hello ... thanks for posting ... well sir ... there is no information on the furnace itself to indicate a model number, but I saw where I had work done on the furnace before and the technical has a sticker up that says the name is Wards ... the model number is AN6262 and the serial number is 06XE. My room temp is 66 ... I turned up the heat to 73 ... I heard a click when I did it, but nothing happen the furnace did not come on right away. After a few minutes it came on ... same as before on for 8 seconds then off again. The pilot light is lit and it kicks on the fire. It's like the fan isn't doing what it is suppose to ... or could it be the thermostat? I will keep a look out for your answer. Thanks

Old 01-23-12, 11:23 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Pictures will help. Take several and from different angles if possible. Close ups of the gas valve and burner compartment.

Pictures need to be uploaded to a photo hosting site such as photobucket.com and the public URLs posted here.

Old 01-23-12, 12:58 PM
I used one of those photo hosting sites a while back, but can't remember where. I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures up.

Old 01-24-12, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Upvotes on 88 Posts
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket can be used to post picture onto this site.

Sounds like you are cycling an old fan limit due to poor airflow.

Old 01-24-12, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
I'm thinking along the same line as is Houston. Do you hear the fan running? Is there a "normal" amount of air coming out of the registers?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: