burnt oil smell on cool down

Old 01-26-12, 12:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
burnt oil smell on cool down

I've had an forced air oil-furnace problem on and off for a year. At times a strong burnt oil smell blows from the both the blowing vents and return vents, but only on the last 10 seconds of the cool down before the air shuts off. We had a guy change nozzle/service last year and it worked for the final month of usage. When this season started, the odor was back. We had another guy change the nozzle again and he also serviced it. Worked for a week, and then the smell came back. He came by again, checked out the chimney and my ducts leading to it for blockage. There was some oil leaking from the oil pump area near the oil bleed. He took it apart and did what he could to seal it back up. Worked for 2 days, started leaking again. After that we just splurged $600 for a new oil pump. After that, all was great for almost 2 months. Now the smell is back again. It's been slow at work and I haven't been working full weeks, I cannot afford to keep getting temporary help. Is there anything anyone can think of to help my suggest to a service guy or do myself?
-only smells in the final seconds of cool down
-co2 detector next to furnace and one upstairs-never detected anything.
-doesn't happed all the time, but usually will happen multiple times in a row.

Thanks!

Old 01-26-12, 04:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Is the furnace power vented or does it vent into a chimney?

Old 01-26-12, 06:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chimney Vented. Don't know if this is coincidense, but seems to start happening around 9pm each neight.

Old 01-27-12, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
What else is going on in the house about that time? Any exhaust fans running? Dryer? Since it happens around the same time, it makes me think of a possible negative pressure in the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: