Inter-City Products Corp Gas Fired Forced Air Furnance False Starts

Old 02-06-12, 04:00 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inter-City Products Corp Gas Fired Forced Air Furnance False Starts

Hi - I have a Inter-City Products Corp Gas Fired Forced Air Furnace - Model GNJ050N12C1 - 50,000 BTU/hr.

The thermostat is set at 65 deg F and when it is warmer in the house - just from the sun heating up the house - the unit goes thru a starting cycle by kicking on the inducer fan, but never goes any further, it just shuts off. It continues doing this false start sequence continuously. There should be no call for heat at this point, so I do not know why it falsely starts. I tried shutting the power off and restarting it, but it still goes thru this false start sequence. If I then turn up the heat so I am calling for heat, then the furnance will start normally. any ideas here? Or any trouble shooting ideas?

Thank You.

Old 02-20-13, 08:20 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the answer to my problem - I ended up swapping out the electronic thermostat and the system operates as it should. I think I killed the original electronic thermostat by using rechargeable batteries. It turns out that the rechargeable batteries operate at a lower voltage than a store bought alkaline type. This must have screwed up my honeywell digital programmable. Since I swapped out with a new programmable unit the system works fine! No more false starts, no more condensation coming back thru the flue liner, and the best part, my gas bill was reduced significantly! So the moral of the story is DO NOT USE RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES IN YOUR THERMOSTAT! I actually found from an online search that the rechargeable batteries should be limited to use in certain items only! I hope this may help some other poor soul someday! Regards.

Old 02-21-13, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Glad you found the solution to your problem & THANK YOU for passing along your tough lesson experience. It may indeed save someone else from the same fate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: