Munchkin 199 Circulation problem Taco SR506 w/ Relay Control

Old 02-08-12, 04:22 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Munchkin 199 Circulation problem Taco SR506 w/ Relay Control

My Munchkin boiler is hooked up to a Taco SR 506 and it has priority switch for zone 6, which is hot water. Apparently ,whatever needs to get satisfied to tell it the hot water is OK isn't getting satisfied and it is causing the zones to not turn on to heat the house. I switched priority off and the zone valves started right up. The water tank is a Weil McClain gold if that makes a diffference.. Is it going to cause a problem to turn the zone 6 off of priority? What would be on the water tank that needs to be replaced to sense that it is satisfied? Thanks Dave

Old 02-08-12, 07:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You have a couple of issues shutting off giving priority to the water heater.

During periods of peak demand, usually in the morning with cooking, showers and baths, you might run short as you consume the reservoir of hot water.

Second, during periods of very cold outdoor temperatures home heating might consume your heating reserve, leaving the water heater off.

It's just a matter of your priorities for using your heating capabilities, it wont harm the boiler.

Very likely there is an aquastat that is measuring temperatures in the water heater that should be turning on priority for the water heater. I'd look at what switches on that priority and trace it back to see what aquastat, timer or other sensor isn't working or needs adjustment.

Old 02-08-12, 08:02 AM
P
Aquastat

Thanks! There was an aquastat on the top of the tank that apparently was not being satisfied, it turned it down and the relay clicked and the other circulators fired up immediately!

Old 02-08-12, 08:05 AM
P
I did switch the priority switch off originally, but I turned it back on after I lowered the aquastat temp. What would cause the change? No settings were changed.

Old 02-08-12, 08:51 AM
It may be that the aquastat wasn't opening or closing properly --- sticking.

You'd have to investigate that theory to determine if it's true.

Old 02-08-12, 09:12 AM
P
Take it out and clean it?

Old 02-08-12, 09:34 AM
IF it's defective, replace it.

Old 02-08-12, 07:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Different manufactures use different types of aquastats. Some are surface mounted, others go into a well, & the remainder use the direct immersion type. If yours goes into a well the outside of the well could be fouled thus preventing proper heat transfer to the aquastat. With direct immersion types, sometimes the probe gets fouled. Before replacing the aquastat you need to check the water temperature vs the setting. It's possible the tank isn't reaching the set point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: