Pressure switch/ furnace

Old 02-08-12, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure switch/ furnace

Old pressure switch: .55
New pr. switch: .70
Which one requires more power to activate the furnace? The new one acts up now & then, depending on barometric pressure outside.
Have mid efficiency Fridgidaire furnace.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-12, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I presume you are talking about the inches water column that causes the pressure switch to close.

If you replace a pressure switch, you should replace it ONLY with a pressure switch specified by the manufacturer.

Any difference in the specifications for the pressure switch, especially the point at which the switch closes risks causing life threatening safety hazards.

Old 02-08-12, 04:01 PM
Thanks SeattlePioneer for the quick response; the new switch (.70) is what the "exports" sold me (gave them the model & serial no). .70 vs .55 does not appear to be a great difference, but I don't know... thus the question.
Thanks again.
handy

Old 02-08-12, 04:08 PM
I have no idea who/what "exports" are.

If the figures you give are the inches water column the pressure switches closes at, it's a huge difference and it would be a safety hazard to change what the manufacturer specifies for the furnace.

Why did you change the pressure switch anyway? It's rare for a pressure switch to require replacement.

Old 02-09-12, 12:20 PM
Sorry about spelling... should be "expert"
Why replace it... the circuit board called for it & it's a cheap part to replace & get the furnace going. When one is at -20 F one wants to get the heat quickly.

Old 02-09-12, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by handy99 View Post
Sorry about spelling... should be "expert"
Why replace it... the circuit board called for it & it's a cheap part to replace & get the furnace going. When one is at -20 F one wants to get the heat quickly.

I wasn't nit picking you about "export." I didn;t know what you were referring to.

That also applies when you say "the circuit board called for it..." What does that mean?

As I indicated earlier, 98% of the time there is a safety reason why the pressure switch doesn't close. If you replace the pressure switch with the wrong one to get the furnace working, the safety hazard is preserved and can be lethal.

The pressure switch tests to be sure that the flow of combustion air to the burners and the flow of combustion gases out the vent system is working properly. If it isn't, there is a high probability that the gas wont burner properly and it will produce hazardous amounts of soot and carbon monoxide.

By installing the wrong pressure switch you may well have installed a ticking safety hazard that can injure or kill people in the house.