Pilot Ignitor Starts To Spark After Furnace Has Been Running For Awhile

Old 02-11-12, 05:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Ignitor Starts To Spark After Furnace Has Been Running For Awhile

I have been called upon to assist a neighbor lady in fixing a problem she is having with her furnace. It is the same as my own, a 28 y/o Carrier (model #396GAW000075). It starts its cycle without any apparent issues. After it has been running for about 10 minutes or so, I can hear the pilot ignitor start to click/spark. I removed the cover and could see a very weak spark at the ignitor occurring at irregular intervals. This continues until the furnace turns off. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could possibly tell me how to troubleshoot this, bearing in mind I am a novice when it comes to HVAC. My neighbor has had a rough go of things lately and I am trying to help her save on a service call if at all possible. Much obliged for any assistance.

Old 02-11-12, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You posted this on another board but it's still too vague to understand what is happening. You need to post the sequence of events that are happening IN DETAIL.

Old 02-11-12, 06:31 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
My neighbor has had a rough go of things lately and I am trying to help her save on a service call if at all possible.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...#ixzz1m89yb426
Saving her a service call could result in co poisoning or flame rollout down the road.

The heat exchanger should be checked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: