Help with my propane usage

Old 02-12-12, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with my propane usage

I live in North East Ohio. I have a 2112 sq ft house, 3 people, i use propane heat and water heater. Last winter I added 3 feet of insulation to the attack of a cape cod style home. Also, this year added plastic to the windows. The house was built in 1995, with a Rudd furnance 100,000 BTU and 34,000 BTU water heater. The furnace was checked for leaks on Jan 1. Since Jan 1, with a MILD winter in the last 37 days I have used 11.5 avg gallons per day of propane. I filled up at 2.34 per gallon on Jan 1, 2101 for a cost of 1066.87 for a complete fill up and then on 2/6/12 they filled up again for another 261 gallons for another cost of $653.24. So far we have checked in the attack and the crawl space for some sort of heat anywhere! We even have to use electric heaters upstairs because we keep the furnace at 62 during the day and 68 at night using a programmable thermostat. Is this usage normal? What else can I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-12, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How long have you lived there? How does the propane usage compare over time? Has anyone checked for a possible hot water leak?

Your furnace would burn about 1.1 gallons per hour when firing & the water heater close to 0.4 gal/hr. If either or both have pilots which stay lit all the time the comsumption is going to be slightly more.

Old 02-12-12, 06:34 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
Hi turnerd,
Capes are a pain, I'm living in one. Some questions.
1. Crawl space, any insulation around the perimeter, the wood and the concrete?
2. Framing, 2x4 or 2x6 walls?
3. Upstairs, do you have side attics and if so what do you see in there for insulation?

Bud