by pass thermostat

Old 02-14-12, 02:00 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
by pass thermostat

If i by pass thermostat until i can pick up new one, will it be dangerous,? i just wired the heat from with in the gaspack unit so have no control the heat just continuously run, wired hot, indoor fan and heat wire together, and use the breaker to the unit to turn system on/off, i did not bypass any of the safety switches, will that damage the system or put anyone in danger?, only for a day or 2.

Old 02-14-12, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It shouldn't...the stat only tells the system.."it's cold..turn on...it's warm..turn off"

Don't know why you would do it from inside the unit though....easier to just connect the right wires at the thermostat. 2 wires will probably tell the system to turn on and give heat. Breakers are not designed to be switches.

Sorry, I can't tell you the right wires to connect.

Old 02-14-12, 03:13 PM
E
Tried that, didn't work, the thermostat wire are pull out of ground and corroded, so gonna pull new wire tomorrow, im just hoping it did not damge the thermostat, thanks for reply.

Old 02-14-12, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If you can possibly tough it out thru the night without heat, I would suggest doing so. Turning the unit off at the breaker does not give it time to cool off with the fan. You could do damage to the heat exchanger or other components.

Old 02-15-12, 12:26 AM
E
high limit

but wouldn't the high limit switch kick in before any damage occur?

Old 02-15-12, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ahh...I had forgot about what Grady mentioned. Very true.

What he means is that in normal operation, the burners will kick off when the set point of the stat is reached, but the fan will continue to run (either on a timer or by a temp sensor) to cool the heat exchanger off to prevent any damage. When you cut power, the system is completely shutdown, so the temp of the heat exchanger can continue to rise. The limit switch is only functional when the power is applied and the unit is running.

Prob a little late since the night is over.

Old 02-16-12, 02:45 AM
E
thanks guys

Alls well pulled wire, everything back to normal, appreciate the help, new in hvac field, will definitely be asking for some more advice.

Old 02-16-12, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Glad things worked out for you.

We're here & will do our best to help you out should any other problems arise or, if you just have a question, please don't hesitate to ask.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: