Natural Gas Furnace Keeps Shutting Off

Old 01-15-01, 09:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an old Custom Aire gas furnace model T-75-DI. When the heater is turned on, it burns for about 5 minutes, then you hear this loud CLICKS three or four times, with gas being turned off and on (except for the pilot) and finally the pilot light goes off too and the whole heater gets shut off. I re-light the pilot and turned on the heater again. Guess what... the same problem persists. The heater was working before, except for the past few weeks.

What could be the problem??
What needs to be replaced??
What does the part looks like??

Old 01-15-01, 02:57 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
You didn't mention

Does your fan or blower come on at all.It should probably cycle on in about 1 to 2 minutes.PDF P.S.WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CHANGED FILTERS????????

Old 01-15-01, 03:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Well, the fan comes on and stays on till the whole heater goes off (triggered by the pilot light going off). The filter was changed just about two weeks ago.

Old 01-16-01, 04:28 PM
fjrachel
Visiting Guest
Change the thermocouple and try again.

Old 01-18-01, 10:23 PM
Visiting Guest
One thing to suspect is an intrmittent open in the gas valve control circuit. I would use a volt meter on the gas valve terminals while this is occuring to determine if loss of 24v. power is occuring. If so it must be tracked to its source (loose wire nut or sloppy screw terminal hookup) If the gas valve is rapidly energized & then de-energized& re-energized (like would result from a loose connection) it can blow out the pilot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: