Propane Wall Heater Starvation

Old 02-25-12, 11:14 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propane Wall Heater Starvation

I am having sudden problems with my propane wall heater. There are no markings on it at all so I can't tell you much about it. The past three nights it kicks on for a minute than the propane starves out and dies. Has worked fine all winter when it was colder. I use 100lb tanks and tank is half full. Only been happening at night around 30 degrees out but barely running during day 50-60 degrees out. It either kicks on for a minute then starves out, or kicks on and immediately starves out. Usually the pilot light also goes out too at this point. It seems very random to the amount of gas I hear going out the burners. When it goes out immediatly there is barely any sound of gas when stays on a minute it'll burn then start sounding like it's struggling and then die. I am not experienced with propane heaters at all. Any idea what's going wrong here? Inside regulator, outside regulator, control valve, something else?

Old 02-26-12, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Usually this is caused by the regulator freezing which is usually from moisture in the LP. Do you have a company come & fill the tanks or take them somewhere to have them filled? Any other LP appliances in the house & if so, any problem with them?

Old 02-26-12, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Another possibility is that in your relatively cold temperatures, the propane tank can't absorb enough heat from the air to boil the liquid propane to a gas.

Just like it takes a lot of heat to convert water into steam, it takes a similar amount of heat to covert liquid propane into a gas that can be used by your furnace.

Old 02-27-12, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
S/P,
I know 30[SUP]o[/SUP] sounds cold to you but it shouldn't be a problem, even with 100# tanks. I run a 50K portable heater off a 20# tank at well below 30[SUP]o[/SUP] frequently. No disrespect intended.

Old 02-28-12, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hello Grady,

You are probably right.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: