trane XV95 variable furnace - noisy sometimes in 2nd stage

Old 02-27-12, 09:01 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trane XV95 variable furnace - noisy sometimes in 2nd stage

A couple of weeks ago, we had a trane xv95 2 stage, variable speed furnace installed.

We purchased this furnace becuase we wanted a quiet furnace. I live in a 1950's 1000 sq ft bungalow. The furnace is in the middle of the basement with the cold air return driectly off the furnace straight up to the hallway in the centre of the house. We live in Calgary, AB, CAN where the temperature can really fluctuate.

A week prior to the installation, the company informed us that we needed to change out some of our 4 inch ducts to 5 inch ducts. They said that the furance would still work if we didn't but we might notice some air noise.

They changed out the ducts in one bedroom, and the kitchen (westside of the house) but left the 4 inch ducts for the bathroom, 2nd bedroom, 3rd, bedroom and two ducts in the living room (middle and eastside of house). They also installed 5 new, 5 inch ducts in the basement (as we are in the process of finishing into a playroom, laundry room and mudroom and storage room). We did leave one old 4 inch duct in the basment storage room.

After the furance was installed we did notice quite a bit of noise. The installer changed the fan speed and that seemed to resolve some of the noise.

Now we hear the noise (I think) when it is in the second stage. Our bedroom is quite cool (compared to the rest of house). There is a lot of air flow noise coming from the ducts in the 2nd bedroom and the living room.

So now for my questions:
1. I was lead to believe that the furnace should make the same amount of noise in 2nd stage as 1st stage. Is that true?

2. Is my issue with the furnace and its settings, the ducts (two sizes in one house) or both?

I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Old 02-27-12, 03:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
2nd stage runs the blower at a higher speed than 1st stage. Most likely your problem is all ductwork related.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: