Payne Furnace won't light automatically

Old 03-04-12, 12:15 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Payne Furnace won't light automatically

I have a Payne Furnace, model 394GAW036050 that won't light automatically. Gas furnace. The first issue was that the electrode sparker would spark continuously for many minutes then the pilot flame would ignite. I switched out the pilot burner and now have a new problem. When the thermostat calls for heat, the furnace does nothing. The sparker does not spark. If I light it by hand the pilot will light and the sparker will start sparking like crazy. Once I light the furnace by hand it operates perfectly. Why won't the sparker start sparking itself when asked to? Why is gas flowing without the sparker sparking? Also, this is intermittent, sometimes it will light itself and sometimes it won't. Please help.

Old 03-04-12, 03:59 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
sounds like you need a new spark module most likely.

Old 03-04-12, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a gray box about 4x5" in size or a black box about 2x3" providing the high voltage spark?

Very likely the spark package is defective. When the thermostat call for heat you should get 24 VAC to terminal 5 on the gas valve which open the pilot gas and to the ignition module to start the spark to light the pilot.

If the ignition module isn't starting reliably, the pilot gas would be on but no spark to light it. Check to see if you have the 24 VAC to power the ignition module. If you do, it should spark.

You can try tapping lightly on the ignition module to see if that jogs it into starting.

Old 03-05-12, 10:43 AM
X
I have the smaller black box. I did try tapping it a couple times to no avail. I will check the voltage tonight. Do you know why the sparker would start sparking after the pilot is lit by hand? I find it strange that I get no spark until a flame is created then it sparks wonderfully.

Old 03-05-12, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fairly often, parts don't fail completely right off the bat. There can be a period of deterioration when they work unreliably. Usually as time goes on the problems get worse before failing completely.

The short answer is that if you have 24 VAC being properly applied to the spark module, it should either start sparking or it needs to be replaced. Test between the two connections on the ignition module.

Old 03-05-12, 01:29 PM
X
Thanks. I will give it a try tonight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: