No Heat

Old 03-09-12, 04:42 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No Heat

I have an American Standard Model#cdb100a945d3. Overnight it quit coming on. I have chked the code on the control bd and it is giving just 1 slow flash which indicates normal operation with no call for heat. The temp in the house is 64 and I have the thermostat set on 72. I have turned the t-stat all the way up & still no response. The thermostat is a Climate Technology digital thermostat. Is this a problem with the thermostat or where should I start looking?? Thanks

Old 03-09-12, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use a multimeter to check and see if you have 24 VAC at the R terminal and W terminal. The R terminal provides voltage going to the thermostat and the W terminal has voltage when the thermostat is calling for heat.

So if you have 24 VAC at the W terminal when the thermostat is turned up, you have an issue either with the thermostat or the wiring for the thermostat.

You can double check that by using a piece of wire to connect the R and W terminals directly, which should turn on the furnace. If it does, that confirms you have an issue with the thermostat or thermostat wiring.

Check that first.

Old 03-09-12, 09:20 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tried the jumper trick and heat came on. I will track it down from here as to whether it is the wiring or thermostat. Thanks so much

Old 03-09-12, 10:46 AM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Jumper R and W at the t-stat - if it comes on, the wiring is fine.

Old 03-09-12, 11:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The next thing I'd do would be to remove the thermostat from the base to expose the wires. Determine which wires go to the R and W contacts on the furnace and connect those with the wire. If the furnace comes on, you have a thermostat issue.

The wires can be bad. I recall one furnace that intermittently failed to operate. I eventually pulled new wire and discovered that rats had gnawed the old wires causing the intermittent failure to light the furnace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: