HELP! Possible Oil Delivery Line Leak

Old 03-15-12, 01:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP! Possible Oil Delivery Line Leak

[img=http://s18.postimage.org/5i74a4btx/downsized_0306122128.jpg]

I noticed the other day that I have a round stain on my basement floor. I marked it to see if it was growing and after a week I noticed it had gotten larger. The stain is on the path of my oil line but is under a cement "hump" so I can not check. I had a new tank and lines installed just about two years ago and haven't noticed any leaks untill now. The oil line is coated with some sort of orange protective sleeve and under cement so I have no idea how it could have sprung a leak now. If there is in fact a hole leaking how do i patch that up?

Last edited by Danjc18; 03-15-12 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Image not showing up
Old 03-15-12, 02:21 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
maybe they hid a loose joint under cement or something heavy went over it and stone in cement tore thru.got to shut of unit and tank and break up cement try not to hit line. loose joint tighten or run part of line if you know how to flare.i would call the installers back and say you got a slow(hopefully) leak. get it fixed soon.

Old 03-15-12, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would suppose that most contractors would guarantee their work for a year, so I wouldn't expect it to be covered by a guarantee.

If it were me, I'd use a sledge hammer to break up the concrete surrounding the suspected leak and use a shovel to dig up the line and inspect it.

If there were real evidence of negligence in how it was installed I would probably ask the contractor to come out and repair it for free. Absent negligence, I'd consider whether I could make any needed repair myself or whether I needed to have that done by a repairman.

I'd repair the concrete work myself to save costs.

That oil is like GOLD these days, isn't it? I remember when it was $.10/gallon.

Old 03-16-12, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
That orange coating serves two purposes: First it is a protective cover to prevent concrete from attacking the copper. Secondly, it is grooved inside to provide a means of leak detection at the ends where the jacket is removed.

Check both ends for oil. The jacket should NEVER be removed from any part of the line which is concealed. Breaking that hump covering the line is usually easily done with an ordinary hammer.

I never cap an oil line with cement. If I must run the line across the floor, I cover it with an aluminum plate tapered on both sides & anchor the plate to the floor. Threshold for a commercial door works well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: