Nu-way heater with suntec pump, diesel wont start

Old 03-27-12, 11:51 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nu-way heater with suntec pump, diesel wont start

hi there,

im new here and am currently trying to get a diesel heater unit running that i was given from an old bank in one of my scrap metal runs,

the rusted furnace cylinder is the reason for its removal,

i have the diesel both gravity fed and primed up to the best of my knowledge tho i cant get a picture of my exact model,
when i start the unit it will spray plenty of fuel out the nozel, and the elctrodes are sparking away quite well from what i can see yet no flame, then cuts out on time cycle for obvouse saftey reasons

now when i 1st had a go at this i came to the reason it may need to be in the cylinder to get air fuel mix right??? (grasping at straws)
so i bolted it in but no cigar, just the unburnt fuel smell strait away,

today when having another go with it i once again had it out of the cylinder to try it,

once again fuel primed up, tank gravity feeding, fuel spraying out nozzel and electrodes sparking,

the only flame i managed to acheive apart from the log burner in the evening,
waqs when i adjusted what can only be described as a fuel control screw i wound right in and thn after pushing the start button i started to slowly wind the screw out and at one point for a very breif moment in time i had a flame then it was gone again, no matter how many times i replayed the same scenareo it just wouldnt happen again,

wish i could find a model number ect but its a single phase 230v 50-60herts is about the most of what i can find,

it has 2 fuel lines, one with filter for feed and one without for the return (presumably)

any help or ideas appreciated, cheers

Old 03-31-12, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
230 volts? Must be a monster. If it has a Nu-Way burner, it's an oldie. Just at a guess I'd start with the electrodes about 7/16" above the nozzle center, 1/8" ahead, & 1/8" apart at the tips. Your air/fuel mixture could also be off, the incorrect nozzle installed etc, etc.

Old 04-10-12, 05:28 PM
B
. TThanks. For your reply. I will try those electrode settings. Yes 230v is o

230v is our standard single phase supply. 410v is our 3phase. Hair dryer, computer ect is all 230v. I will try those electrode Settings . About the possible incorrect nozzle, that Of coarse is possible as I don't know much about these, but for it to come from an apparent working environment. I would have obviously assumed the correct nozzle was in place. Will continue to try, by the sound of what your saying, the air fuel mix and the
electrode position are the most important factors here? Cheers so far mate

Old 04-10-12, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may want to remove the nozzle & get a new one with the same flow rate, spray angle, & spray pattern. Something else I suggest is getting a gauge to check the pump pressure. Here the standard pump pressure is 100psi for older burners.

Old 04-10-12, 08:03 PM
B
Thank you for your help I will carry on with this rainy day project and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Old 04-10-12, 10:23 PM
B
Hi, I have been out for another look. The gaps you told me are about right except for the electrode is only just I'm front of nozzle. and I can't see anyway to bring the forward I may Need to pay someone. After all.

Old 04-11-12, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
They should only be no more than 1/8" past the face of the nozzle. 1/16" would likely be fine as well. The gap between the tips should be 1/8" to 5/32". I've used drill bits as feeler gauges to set the gap. Pictures of the burner might help.

Old 04-17-12, 12:31 AM
B
Got the bugger

I hope the title isnt against any forum rules but I am both very happy that its going now and also rather annoyed at myself as to how simple the solution was,

Classic example of not knowing enough about it and not being able to find a modle number or anything on it there for information was hard to find too,

While tinkering today i ended up with a kink in the rubber reutrn line, and low and behold,,,, AWAY SHE GOES,

AS it did not come with tank or most of the hoses just the inlet hose and filter i had found some fittings and set up what hoses i didnt have

Now I realise there is oviously supposed to be a flow restricter of some description in the return line to build up better presure, as i already had fuel spraying good i didnt realy suspect fuel problems, good thing i ended up with a kink in the hose or there may have been many more days wasted in the back yard on rainy days off,

If someone was able to tell me what type of flow rerstricter is required that would be much appreciated,
eg a regulator or a spring valve??

I will search for this information anyway but wanted to let you know i have made some progress

Thanks very much for the input and attempt to help so far

Old 04-17-12, 05:10 PM
B
Ok so i am slowly learning a bit more, after some more searching and reading this is what i make of it but some confirmation from someone more knowledge able would be great,

From what ive read it would seem that since im running it gravity feed from the tank then i should be removing the grub screw from inside the return line and then plug the return line off alltogether,

just checking incase ive missread,
as i did that and im back to no flame,
now the grub screw was in when i kinked the return line and got flame,
but now with it out and the line pluged it didnt work again

but i did read somewhere to that i would probably stuff a seal if i plug return line with this grub screw in place,
any pointers appreciated thanks

Old 04-17-12, 06:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the return port is plugged with the internal screw in place, you will certainly rupture a shaft seal. It seems very odd that you have to restrict the return line to get the burner to fire but if that's what it takes...

Is the return line submerged in the oil in the tank? If not, that might be the reason you have to restrict the return line.

The "grub screw" you refer to; Is it in the return port of the pump? Some pictures of the burner could be a big help. More is better. Different angles, different distances, etc. If you can access Photobucket.com, open a free account, post the pictures to an album & provide a link here.

Old 04-17-12, 06:52 PM
B
Sweet just checking about that plug and screw idea,

the return line was submerged in the oil BUT because the tank is something i had made up for something else it may not have the right specs... as i had the return line going in the filler cap at top of the tank then went down to below the oil level, when perhaps the return line would need to enter the tank at a level below the oil level to create that bit of back pressure,

yes the grub screw is located directly in the middle of the return port, but when i removed it and pluged the return line to make it single line gravity feed it was a step backward as far as progress goes.

i will get some phots of the burner and tank set up, please keep in mind that the initial set up is to get it going and from there i will perfect the system to be

spill proof, bigger tank, and of corse the ducting ect will be added too,

i will do my best at this photobucket idea, its a new one to me but happy to give it a go,

thank you Grady for all your help so far,
i will look at getting the picks up in the next couple of hours,

thanks

Old 04-18-12, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When converting from a two pipe to a one pipe fuel system the return port in the pump should be plugged, not the line itself.

Old 04-21-12, 07:34 PM
B
getting somewhere here,

Ok time for the progress report,

I have signed up to photo bucket but as yet the photo adding page wont open for me,,, so still working on it,

burner,,, well after trying the plugging of return port with no added joy,
i went back to the 2 hose system, with a bit of a kink it was firing,

i cleaned the filter inside the pump out

Keeping in mind that i had allready tried the fuel presure screw in and out and every position in between, i then tried altering the same screw while i had a small amount of pressure in the retun line,

and after more adjusting i no longer needed to restrict the return hose, so something has come right or shud i say better atleast as now when it does fire it only runs for 10-15 seconds before the flame goes out, unless i adjust the fuel screw,

still pottering will get back with more info on how the day goes

Old 04-22-12, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Strange things happening with the fuel pump. I'm wondering if it is any good. Once pics are up & I can see what kind of pump we're dealing with, hopefully I'll be able to offer some useful suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: