"soft copper" for natural gas line?

Old 01-17-01, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello
The guy who I want to hire to run a gas line from the main line coming into my furnace and water heater to a ventless fireplace has suggested the use of soft copper instead of black pipe. He says it is just as safe, and will be much easier thus cheaper (labor) to install. He stated as long as I was not having it inspected that I was fine. Outside the city he said people use it all the time for natural gas, but the city would want the black pipe. I am not sure what to do, I would love to save some money, but I wan't a safe home. Any thoughts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-01, 05:49 PM
R-12guy
Visiting Guest
Have it done to code..I use Ward flex. Copper was also used around here, but the codes have changed. Find someone else who will take the time to do it right..

Old 01-18-01, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
R-12 guy
Thanks for your reply. What is Ward flex? We were wanting to find something flexible, as duct work and walls are framed, and twisting the black pipe through would require some removing of duct framing and alot of drilling, plus gas being shut off for an extended period of time.

Old 01-18-01, 02:03 PM
PDF
Visiting Guest
GASTITE

Is another type of flex gas piping.To install you must carry the GASTITE card and have the proper tools for install.There are certain guide lines to follow you may borrow my card if you wish(only kidding).AS R-12 guy said do some home work to Ward flex or GASTITE authorized installers.REMEMBER WHO EVERY you go with nat. gas piping sizes have to be large enough (because of lower pressure) to insure of sufficent supply to all appliances during high demand use.PDF