Wall Furnace options

Old 05-02-12, 08:17 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wall Furnace options

I have a small cabin in northern michigan, 800 sq/ft. i have remodeled it all and it does not have heat so i want to put a small furnace in it. the cabin sits on a cement slab. I was thinking of using a direct vent, counter flow or a gravity wall furnace. These all save on space but I am not sure what BTU size to get, I was looking at 35K units.
At first I was going to get the gravity wall unit (radiant) but then I find that the warm air blows out from 4'-5' above the ground and I think that the forced air units would be better because they blow the warm air out on the ground (being that the cabin is on a slab). I am also worried that the gravity wall heater will not radiate the heat around corners as well as the forced air heaters. I am not concerned with heating the bedrooms as I have installed electric all heaters in them, I just need to heat a large open area with the wall furnce (family room 10x10, dining area 8x8, kitchen 10x10) . I need some opinions from HVAC pro's on what options would be best. HELP!!

Links to some that I have considered

Direct Vent

Empire Heating Systems: Direct-Vent Counterflow Wall Furnace

Counter Flow

Empire Heating Systems: Vented Counterflow Wall Furnaces

Gravity Wall Furnace

Empire Heating Systems: B-Vent Gravity Wall Furnaces

Old 05-02-12, 09:59 AM
H
Oh and another thing I need to know, what is better to get the standing pilot or the electronic ignition?

Old 05-02-12, 01:49 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The better question is "how dependable is the electricity", do you have power failures?
This one has a self generating system, no need for power.

Empire Heating Systems: B-Vent Gravity Wall Furnaces

Old 05-03-12, 05:13 AM
H
yes, i thought of that also. it is not a great concern, power failures rarely occur at this location. I had some HVAC contractors come take a look and they did not recommend going with the GWT35, they tried to talk me into getting the Direct Vent 35k or 55k. But the location where it is going will be in the small family room right next to where I want to mount a TV on the wall. I was thinking that it might not be a good idea to have the furnace next to the TV becuase the furnace might be to loud so then I can hear the TV. I am just really confused on which application will be best. I am leaning toward the GWT35 just because it is able to be completely recessed in the wall and out of the way, this is the best option for space saving, but maybe not for heating.??

Old 05-03-12, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 892 Upvotes on 753 Posts
Have you looked at any gas fireplaces? I just wired one that had the option of adding two remote heat outputs. Two 6" take offs were attached to the top of the fireplace (which is set in a corner wall cavity) and ran to a remote controlled blower. Might look a little nicer than the wall furnaces.

I could get a model number of you want.

Old 05-03-12, 07:37 AM
H
Tolyn,

I have not looked at that option, can you get me the model #. It sounds like that might be a good option. does it vent thru the top of the model or in the back, then you can go up?

Old 05-03-12, 07:49 AM
H
tolyn,

i am not sure if a gas fireplace will work. I want to be able to keep the heat on during the winter, even while I am away, just turn it down low, so I think that I need a furnace with a thermostat and the fireplaces do not have that option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: