Old 05-09-12, 10:47 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is a G8 inquiry that is not technical

If it's possible, I'd like to find a part for an OLD Lennox furnace:
mod. G8-165N-3
Mfg circa 1968

Looking for a "holder" for the hammock filter. One of the ears that lets it rotate on the basket has been broken off, so the holder falls down on the right side of the basket when installed.

This is for my mom's furnace. She's in Colorado, and when I was visiting last week, i rigged it such that it will hold the current filter in, but the next person who tries it will likely not have such luck. Unfortunately, I didn't have the tools to cut-and-bend a new ear while I was there.

Is there a parts house out there anywhere that could supply a holder?

Old 05-09-12, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'd be very surprised if you are going to find a new replacement part.

I would guess that your best options would be:

1: Calling various Lennox dealers and distributors who might have part from old furnaces they have pulled out or

2. Patching what you have using some steel wire or other repair methods that might work.

As a repairman, if I found such a problem, I'd be choosing #2 and expect to make a pretty good repair in 15-30 minutes. That would be a general expectation, I can't visualize the exact problem you found.

Old 05-09-12, 07:52 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
i had a Lennox with the same problem, either use wire to attach hammock pad or throw away and use conventional filters

Old 05-09-12, 08:54 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
A furnace that old should be looked at; just because something works doesn't mean it's safe.

The heat exchanger is probably cracked by now.

If it's still safe and fuel consumption is not a concern, the best option is to have an external filter installed.

Old 05-10-12, 10:41 AM
D
Thank you all for your input.

mbk3: How do you make conventional filters work in replacing a hammock?
I'm assuming you refer to rigid, framed filters.

Muggle: It's being professionally serviced on a regular basis. No worries about safety yet.

Pioneer: Agreed, the repair would have been moderately easy with the right tools. Just didn't have any on my trip.

Old 05-10-12, 07:38 PM
M
If it is an upflo, remove hammock and lay over return. You may need to be creative if the return is on the side, such as making a bracket to hold filter in place. If it is a downflo, as I recall you install them in a "A" over the blower. Whenever i had to make such setup, I would place the filters together on edge, duct tape top edges together, as insurance I added screw thru the tape into the cardboard frame. Now you can unfold the filters and you have an "A" to install. The filters should fit on the same rails as the hammock did.

From your first post I assume the tabs you have to bend every time you change the filter material snapped off, correct?

And this is a "technical question" don't you think

Old 05-11-12, 10:15 AM
D
Well, it wasn't technical when all I wanted was an obsolete replacement part.

Again, thanks for the help. I think we'll get her switched over to conventional filters.

Old 05-11-12, 03:50 PM
A 1" filter rack can be installed at the intake of the furnace...

1" is okay if she uses fiberglass - if she uses something denser, have a 4 or 5" cabinet installed.

Old 05-13-12, 08:01 PM
M
Don't discount the fact that with the original hammock style you will have more filtering area.

Old 05-16-12, 12:58 PM
That's true.

One disadvantage of hammock filters is that they often don't always seal well to the cabinet, especially when the edges are erroneously trimmed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: