Trane XV90 - circulator motor removal

Old 06-18-12, 09:32 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XV90 - circulator motor removal

Wouldn't ya know it, on one of the hottest days of the year so far, my A/C gives out.. But it's not the compressor like you normally get, the stupid circulator/blower motor quit on me. Luckily I happened to notice the sounds of circulating refrigerant without the blower being on, and found icicles hanging off the suction lines. I didn't open the evap housing but I could imagine it was a block of ice.

So my first thought was the thermostat went on me.. Jumped the Fan (G) terminal to red, nothing happened. Switched it to heat (in which case the furnace board is in control of the fan, not the stat) - got fire, no fan. So the blower motor is dead.

In my searching I have found out that there is a stupid little thermistor that burns out on the motor circuit board (it's a variable speed blower), and replacing it is a permanent fix.. That is well within my comfort zone to replace myself, but I can't find any info on how to remove the motor. I can venture a few guesses about removing everything from the front, but I don't know if that's the right way or if there's an easier/better way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Old 06-19-12, 04:34 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Remove the control board and trap assembly, next there are 2, 3/8" head bolts holding the blower housing to the blower deck, remove them and then the blower assy, next 2, 1/4" head bolts hold the module to the motor, next there is a molex plug attached inside to the module from the motor, remove that.

Old 06-19-12, 09:36 AM
Received 52 Upvotes on 46 Posts
You can unscrew the metal plate (or box) that the circuit board is attached to and push it off to the side without disconnecting any wires.

Old 06-19-12, 10:20 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Fantastic! I got it! And as others have said, the thermistor was totally cooked, so I'll be ordering that up pronto. Thanks!!

I went to the local Trane dealer to see if by some lucky shot they might have one, and they said no - they wanted me to buy a brand new motor to the tune of $470.. It's funny... Since this furnace is only 6 years old (and going by the number of complaints of blowers failing around this timeframe), it seems as if this $8 part is designed to fail just outside of the 5 year warranty so they can sell the poor sap consumer a new motor and the labor to install it... But thats just my opinion, I could be wrong...

Muggle - Good to know for next time, I just marked the wires and pulled the whole thing out.

Old 02-05-14, 04:46 PM
D
mine, too!

JerseyMatt,

Did you ever find the replacement for the part (thermistor/resistor?) that burned out on your motor?

I just had my blower motor on my Trane XV80 go out, and the HVAC service man pulled the motor board and noted the (he called it) 'resistor' had burned out. You could see a crack in it.

He called me back today, and said it would cost me $550 (part only) to replace the motor! Wow.

I'd love to know how I can avoid the $600 final bill I'd have to pay for the HVAC guy to do it...

I did see various Trane motor blowers for sale on Amazon, one that was variable speed even, but I'm not sure how to find out if it would be compatible with my XV80 (Model #TUD080R9V3).

Old 02-06-14, 12:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
I answered in your other thread too. Here is a link to a past thread with the info you were looking for.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ai...ble-motor.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: