Oil company locked my oil tank

Old 06-26-12, 05:18 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil company locked my oil tank

I have an annual contract with this local oil company. A home inspection guy told a potential buyer that there is oil spill from the gas tank. My wife called up the oil company to check it out. A technician came and determined that the gas tank was in fact leaking/spilling. He put some kind of a lock nut and took away the cap of the oil inlet. He wanted to replace the whole tank. All this happened when I was away.

When I came home and was told of the incident, I carefully inspected the floor and around the tank. There was no oil stain or any spill evident on the ground. I put a cardboard underneath the tank for a couple days and there was no oil on it. This is an above ground tank.

What are my options? The previous inspections (2 times a year plus other maintenance visits) by the same oil company determined no issue with the oil tank. A previous home inspection from another potential buyer also had no issue with the tank. I don't want to shell out a couple grands if in fact the tank is not spilling. Do I have the right to tell the oil company to give back my oil tank cap (outside the house) and put it back in service? I don't mind going to another company for oil service contract if that's what it takes.

Thank you very much in advance for any advise.

Old 06-26-12, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I have no idea how the legal issues work with something like this but I'd talk to the oil company that services your tank [preferably face to face] and try to find out how they came to the conclusion that your tank is leaking. Is it possible they recovered the oil in the tank so there is none to leak?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: