furnace on blocks?

Old 06-27-12, 11:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
furnace on blocks?

A good friend just had a new gas furnace installed and I was rather surprised that the unit was not set on blocks.............it was always my understanding that both a water heater and a furnace should be placed on blocks since concrete "wicks". Even though a basement is dry if you lay a metal object on concrete for a time it will begin to rust, just look at the legs on appliances in a basement. I think that in some areas, it is code to have a water heater on blocks, not only to keep the pan from rusting but in case of a back up you don't lose the heater.

Am I wrong? I looked at this guys new installation, they used the old return line that come right to the floor and if you look at the bottom of that there is rust which would support what I am saying.

I think many of you probably have some great input on this and would love some feedback.

Old 06-29-12, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Putting the furnace or water heater up on blocks may be a regional thing. Where I live, I've NEVER seen either a furnace or water heater installed on blocks. Every installation I've seen is directly on the concrete floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: