Water leaking from blue plastic box on furnace

Old 07-04-12, 09:09 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water leaking from blue plastic box on furnace

Just noticed water next to my Trane furnace. Wasn't there before the AC guys came out a couple weeks back. The water is coming from the condensate pump. Pretty fast drip too.

Last week it was 100+. The last couple of days the humidity has been averaging around 85%. Line goes up to the ceiling in the basement and then across the house and out. When I went to look at it, there was no water draining.

Also noticed that there was a weird noise when the pump was running, so wondering if the pump is just going bad.

There's a parts place near me so I assume I can find a replacement there. Doesn't look too hard to install from the outside.

Is it possible that the weather has caused this and turning it off overnight will allow it to drain/leak and it will be okay anyway or do I need to replace it? Is it actually a simple thing to install or shoudl I bring in the pros?

Old 07-04-12, 10:01 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
its a condensate pump and easy to replace.if old and the motor replace.sometimes i can clean the bottom with hot water unscrew the barbed fitting and pop out the ball in there with a awl or nail.make it come out the skinny end.mud gets stuck there alot.teflon the fitting back and check.it cycles more but can get rid of larger material when pumping.

Old 07-05-12, 09:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sounds like it's time to replace it.

You can feed the drain line into a bucket until you replace it, just be sure to empty the bucket.

Old 07-06-12, 09:52 AM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaned out the pump and that seems to have done the trick. At least for now. I'll probably replace it anyway.

I could not get the drain tube going from the pump to the outside off of the nozzle. I really don't want to cut it since there's not much spare tubing on it, but I may have to. Is there a way to link/splice the drain tube with a new one if that's what I end up doing?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: