Carrier 58GSC blower stays on

Old 08-17-12, 05:22 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58GSC blower stays on

Hello I changed my contactor outside at the compressor and failed to turn off power to the furnace. While changing the contactor I touched the two 24v wires together. Now the furnace blower will not shut off nor will the compressor kick on.

The fusible link attached to the limit switch is still intact and does not look burnt.

The transformer shows 118 volts for the line side and the load side I could not obtain any reading at all. The transformer has been replaced once before as this is not the stock unit and there is another screw hole.

Once the transformer is replaced will this allow my replaced contactor to work and turn on the compressor? Also will this allow my furnace to kick off?

Old 08-17-12, 06:44 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
Check the furnace for a fuse.

Check for voltage between terminals (should be around 24 v ac) C and R at the door switch depressed.

You may have wrecked the transformer and/or circuit board.

Old 08-17-12, 06:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
it should, but you should check for a fuse first before replacing the transformer.

Old 08-17-12, 06:48 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
The 58gsc is natural draft -> most likely pre-1992, so you might want to get it checked out, since the heat exchanger might be cracked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: