My Furnace does first two steps but no flames on Burners

Old 09-25-12, 03:57 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Furnace does first two steps but no flames on Burners

Hi I have a York Diamond 80 about 8 years old.
yesterday Sept. 24/2012 I try to turn it on and I see only the small blower running then the igniter and...nothing the small blower stop after the igniter ignite two times. I have 24vac at the Gas valve coil. 120 Vac at the igniter,
but I do not hear the click of the gas valve relay, even when I opened and check for open circuit or short circuit, and everything look? ok. to me.
last night it did start (surprise) for one minute and then never start again,
now when I try to start it I have a three red blink at the control board light.
Thanks for yours input

Old 09-25-12, 04:25 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
There are three possibilities off the top of my head...

1. No gas to the furnace - check shutoff valve
2. Mechanical part of the gas valve damaged
3. Bad electrical connection somewhere, possibly in the board itself.

Re: #3...

Open circuit voltage doesn't tell you if there's a bad connection or partially damaged wire.

Check the resistance of both leads from wiring harness (that's plugged into the circuit board) to the gas valve with both ends disconnected.

Measure the current going to the gas valve when it's supposed to open if you have a meter which can do so. If the current is fine (will be far less than an amp), the valve is most likely internally damaged.

Old 09-25-12, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I presume that when you say you have 24 VAC at the gas valve, that means you have observed the ignitor heat up, then the voltage switch on for 3-4 seconds at the gas valve, and then for that voltage to shut off again. Is that correct?

That implies either no gas to the gas valve, a gas valve turned to the off position or a defective gas valve.

Check to be sure that the gas is on at the gas meter and that the furnace shutoff valve is on.

If I were checking, I'd shut off the furnace shutoff valve, open the gas line and briefly turn the gas on to verify that you have proper gas flow.

Check to be sure that the electric gas valve is turned to the on position.

Old 09-26-12, 02:24 PM
A
I have checked everything incluiding the pessure swith and even shorting the input terminals and still nothing, I am not geting the three red flash anymore (the pressure switch hose was disconected ) I have 405 ohms at the gas valve coil when the switch is in the On position .
27 volts at the press. sw. for three seconds then 0 v.
thanks again for your time and help

Old 09-26-12, 03:00 PM
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace. Obtain the model of the furnace off the rating plate in the burner compartment and post it here.

Observe the sequence of events that occurs at the furnace when you turn up the thermostat and post that sequence of events in order and in detail.

Old 09-27-12, 01:56 PM
A
Hi SeattlePioneer.
The Furnace is a York Diamond 80
Model # P4HUA12N06401A
Input BTU/Hr 80k
Output " " 64k

the sequence is: thermostat on, 1) click on the control board 2) small blower start running 3) igniter go red and bright for 3 seconds 4)igniter go off (small blower still on) 5) igniter go on again then off and repeat once more then small blower go off.
a) I paid attention to the gas valve and I didn't hear any click
b) the LED at the control board is green and slow flash till the small blower go off.
c) I didn't smell any gas around or inside the box (furnace).
Thanks again for you time

Old 09-27-12, 05:46 PM
After the igniter heats up, the gas valve should turn the gas on for the main burner. Apparently that isn't happening.

Do you have other gas appliances that are operating normally? That would prove that the gas is turned on. If you don't verify that the gas is turned on at the gas meter.

Check to be sure that the furnace gas shutoff valve is turned on.

Check to be sure that the gas valve gas control is turned to the "ON" position.

Post the make and model of the gas valve here.

Old 09-27-12, 06:20 PM
A
Gas line

Hi, the dryer and water heater are connected from the same gas line, and they are working (so far).
there is another shutoff valve to the furnace and is open, only that I can not assure you, gas is going through. it has been working for the lass decade.
thanks again

Old 09-27-12, 06:43 PM
Post the make and model of the gas valve.

Most gas valves have a manual control that can shut off the gas. The control should be turned to the on position.

Usually there are two wires to the gas valve, but there might be more.

Use a multimeter to measure the AC voltage being applied to the gas valve.

After the igniter heats up, you should see 24 VAC being switched on to energize the gas valve. If that voltage is present you probably have a failed gas valve that will need to be replaced.

If the voltage isn't there, you probably have a failed ignition control that isn't turning on the gas valve.

Old 10-02-12, 05:32 PM
A
My furnace is Up and Running

My dear friend
SeattlePioneer

after many days troubleshooting This Furnace I found the problem.
I remove the switch together with the solenoid valve and I found this wire from the coil to the terminal (leg) was disconnected (open) I solder it back and voala
the gas valve start working.
Thanks you so Much for your time and tips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: