HELP - Pilot not lighting

Old 10-01-12, 11:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HELP - Pilot not lighting

Bought my house in June - had an inspection in May - furnace worked just fine - pilot light lit, all was well. With the cooler weather I tried turning the furnace on last week - it was a no-go. The pilot light won't light at all. It's as though there's no gas. Had a friend change the thermocoupler yesterday thinking for sure that was the issue. Still nothing. Unit is a Carrier 58GFA070HC. House was built in 1995. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-01-12, 03:36 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
So, is it a standing (24/7) pilot system? Based on the pilot burner I found for that model it is. If so, do you mean that you can light the pilot, but it wont stay lit or do you mean that you can't light the pilot at all?

Old 10-01-12, 09:58 PM
Received 57 Upvotes on 50 Posts
It's definitely a standing pilot model; here's the produce data-> http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr.../58gfa-2pd.pdf

Silly question:

- Is the gas to the house and furnace on?

Old 10-02-12, 10:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the pilot burner wont light at all, the most common reason for this is that the gas to the furnace has been off for weeks or months.

Look carefully when you have lit match at the pilot burner while pushing down on the gas valve --- you may see the gas blowing the match flame around but the gas not igniting.

If so, you need to purge the old gas out the pilot burner by holding the gas valve down for 2-3 minutes. Then wait five minutes for the gas to disperse and try lighting the pilot again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: