Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Heating, Cooling, Air Conditioning, Ventilation and T-Stat Controls > Gas and Oil Home Heating Furnaces
Reload this Page >

Blower stays on - - burner goes out after 15-25 seconds - - Amana Air Command 80

Blower stays on - - burner goes out after 15-25 seconds - - Amana Air Command 80

Old 10-06-12, 05:55 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The title pretty much describes my problem...

I have an Amana Air Command 80 SSE gas furnace. I have had minor issues with it each year that we've lived here (10th winter coming up). I was never a do-it-yourself type person until we bought the house and I've taken on the mindset of not paying somebody for something I can do myself...

Here's what happens:

My house is 65 right now and it's set for 72, so I'm well outside the span of my thermostat, yet I put it to run ON instead of AUTO anyways, just for testing.

My furnace will kick on the exhaust fan, the ignition thingy lights up orange (which I had to replace 2 years ago) and then the gas fires on. The flame ignites out of all 3 gas tubes (whatever they're called) and the ignition thingy gradually goes back to black. After about 10-15 seconds of flame, the gas shuts off, I hear the relays clicking away in the blower compartment. Then the ignition piece lights orange again, the gas blows, it lights for 10-15 seconds, and does the same thing over and over again. After 10-12 attempts, it seems to shut down the cycle, but the blower fan stays on, which causes cold air to blow out of the vents.

I can take some pictures and post them if you'd like...

I took off the primary and secondary limit switches and cleaned them with steel wool and popped the diaphragm back out. At first, I didn't pop it back and nothing would happen at all, no flame, no ignition orange...nothing. Then I read something about having to push the reset rod in the back, it worked... as I'm back to my original issue now.

I also took out this thing that looks like a metal rod with a single blue wire on the back... cleaned it with steel wool, and replaced it.

My parents' neighbor is an HVAC tech, but lives too far away to check it out himself. However, he things I should replace both limit switches and perhaps the flame rod (is that the metal rod with the blue wire???). He recommended that because those haven't been changed since I've owned the house (10 years), and they're not expensive from what he told me.

Any suggestions would be wonderful. We're looking at record lows over the next 2 nights, and winter is right around the corner in Cleveland.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 10-07-12, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If you don't have & know how to use a volt meter, I too suggest replacing the limit switches. If the burners stay on for 15+ seconds, I doubt the flame rod is the problem.

Old 10-07-12, 01:05 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
let it run the cycle a few times and then check the control board for a flash code. Post that code here.

Old 10-21-12, 07:27 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have the identical furnace with the identical problem... I'm wondering if the OP was able to resolve it and, if so, how? And in the meantime, how does one check for flash codes on the control board? Does it have LEDs or other indicators on it, or must I use a diagnostic tool of some sort?

It's starting to get a little chilly in here...

Thanks!

Old 10-21-12, 08:55 AM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Yes there is an led. Please post your problem to its own thread so that noone gets confused while trying to help you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: