Nordyne FG6RA072C-12 failure to ignite

Old 10-07-12, 11:05 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nordyne FG6RA072C-12 failure to ignite

I recently started up my furnace and it wasn't operating. I opened it up and watched it through the start up sequence and everything appeared to be going according to the manual, except the ignitor isn't getting hot, causing a lockout and 4 blinks on the red LED. So I went the cheap route and replaced the ignitor, after I started it up, the same thing happened. I then stuck a voltmeter on the circuit board where the ignitor harness hooks up and found that no power was being generated (other harness areas were). Do I need a new control board? These are a little expensive and want to make sure this is the problem before I go about replacing it. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 07:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
More likely than a bad circuit board is a pressure switch that isn't closing.

Most furnaces list what the diagnostic codes are signaling. What does your furnace list as causing your 4 flash code?

Old 10-08-12, 08:22 AM
F
4 flashes means ignition failure (check ground), 3 flashes is bad pressure switch.

Old 10-08-12, 09:14 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just to rule out the pressure switch, Remove the two connecting wires on the pressure switch and remove the rubber hose at the inducer blower. Suck gently on the hose and you should hear the pressure switch click. Use your meter in the ohms position to check the terminals of the pressure switch. When you suck the hose, the meter should drop to a low reading (on) and when you blow in the hose the meter should show a high reading (off).

Also, check that the hose is clear and that the nipple on the inducer motor is not plugged up.

Old 10-08-12, 10:49 AM
Guessing that the pressure switch is the problem when another issue is indicated by the diagnostic code is a waste of time.

Sucking on the pressure switch is a lousy method of testing which is LIKELY to cause the pressure switch, an important safety device, to lose its correct setting an calibration.

Old 10-08-12, 03:23 PM
F
So, would it be your guess that for an "ignition failure (check ground)" that the control board is out?

Old 10-08-12, 05:37 PM
Measure the AC voltage being applied to the flame sensor when the inducer motor is running and report that here.