Goodman 2 burner Furnace Question

Old 10-08-12, 06:04 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Back in 2000, we installed 2 Goodman furnaces/AC units in a house which just had electric heat. We have a 3 burner installed in the basement for the main floor and a 2 burner placed in the attic to handle the second floor. The basement furnace stands up. The one in the attic has to lay on its side because the attic wasn't built for someone to stand up. For many years the attic unit ran great. Recently when I switched from cooling to heat because the weather is changing here in the northeast the furnace is doing this: blower, flame on for a little while, flame off, blower, flame on again for a little while, flame off, blower, temperature is reached the system goes back into sleep mode until the thermostat tells the system to start up again. I would hate to call in a repairman if the system is working okay or if there is something simple to replace such as a $5 switch, so has anyone experience this? If so, what could it be? Thanks....

Old 10-08-12, 07:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
>

If the flame is staying on for 3-5 seconds, the flame sensor may be dirty. The flame sensor is on the opposite side of the furnace from the hot surface ignitor and is a rod sticking up into the burner flames with a wire going back to the circuit board.

Clean the flame sensor with some fine sandpaper. It tends to get coated with invisible oxides that need to be removed.

Old 10-08-12, 08:13 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I appreciate your response. I thought about the flame sensor but the flame stays on for a decent amount of time (longer than 3 - 5 seconds). I will double check the time as well as try cleaning the sensor again. I am wondering if the sensor is malfunctioning on me.
Thanks again....

Old 10-08-12, 09:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Being vague about what is happening, such as how long the burners stay lit, is not going to get you useful help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: