Becket Burner

Old 10-09-12, 04:30 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Becket Burner

Hi. I have an old oil-fired floor furnace that I plan to replace with a heat pump in about a year. In the meantime, I'm having trouble getting it to start. I don't know the make or age of the furnace, but it has a Becket Burner. I've replaced the oil filter and the nozzle, but it still won't start.

When I try to start it, it buzzes for about ten seconds, and then I can hear something happening that sounds to me like it might possibly be oil squirting into the burner. At this point, the reset button on the motor pops, the oil sound stops, and the buzzing continues for about a minute before the main reset button pops. I cannot depress either button for about a minute, and then I can begin the process again.

If any of this is relevant, the furnace is in a crawl space under a house that was built in the 1940's. I do not know if it is the original furnace, but the burner looks a lot newer than the furnace. I have checked the bleeder on the burner and I am getting oil, I've also loosened the flare nut on the 3/8" line coming in, and I got oil out of that. The furnace was working fine last winter, although it was a very mild winter, so it didn't run as much as it normally would.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-12, 11:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,138 Upvotes on 3,716 Posts
If the reset button trips on the motor it would seem to suggest that the motor or pump is jammed. The noise that you think sounds like fuel being squirted in is probably the ignition transformer/spark. Normally you can't hear that when the burner starts up but if the motor isn't running it may appear to be very noticeable. The second reset that pops on the controller is because of no flame detected.

Old 10-10-12, 02:53 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I had my suspicions about the second reset popping. Sounds like I need to replace the pump and/or motor. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: