Trane Gas Furnace -- Gas Not Coming On

Old 10-09-12, 05:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane Gas Furnace -- Gas Not Coming On

I don't know if, or how well, this furnace worked before because I just moved into my new house this summer. I have an XE80 Trane furnace, and it seems that the gas doesn't want to come on. The light on the control board is continuous "fast" flash, which correctly indicates that I want heat (but maybe incorrectly indicates that things are "normal"). I'll typically see the system turn on the electric ignitor and it glows yellow for about 4 seconds, then it turns off without any gas ever coming on.

I turned off the power to take a look around (flame sensor looked okay, by the way). I turned the power back on, and on the very first try, when the system would have just booted up and first asked for heat, I saw flames come on for maybe a second, and then they promptly turned off. Now it's back to just the ignitor coming on without any gas. I guess I have a gas flow problem, but I don't really know where to start looking, any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-12, 05:43 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
shortly after the ignitor lights you should check for 24VAC at the gas valve. DO you hear the gas valve click?

Old 10-09-12, 07:06 PM
M
Thanks for the input. I do hear the gas valve click right before the ignitor turns off (I presume the ignitor is hot enough at this point and this is when the gas flow is supposed to engage and combust the gas on the hot ignitor). I don't actually have my own multimeter, so I'll have to get one and check the voltage later.

One possibly important piece of information that I left out earlier is that the light flashes fast for some number of tries, then it eventually turns to a two pulsed flash indicating a "system lockout (retries or recycles exceeded)".

Old 10-09-12, 07:25 PM
If you hear it click then it likely has voltage. Your description of the diagnostic light is normal. Do you have other gas appliances that are working? Water heater, stove, or dryer? IS the gas valve turned on? Is the gas stop all the way open?

Old 10-09-12, 08:02 PM
M
As far as I can tell, the gas stop is painted stuck as is. I am pretty respectful of natural gas, and messing with the stop requires tools and possibly friction so I haven't messed with it. I don't see any other stops on the inside of the furnace, the pipe just goes straight to the inlet. The whole thing is kind of kludgey.

The meter outside has a bolt running through it's valve stop, so hopefully it's open.. I imagine that to get into the bolted position the valve would have be open. Unfortunately, since this is my only appliance that runs on gas, I can't say for sure if gas is even getting to my house.

Attached Images   
Old 10-09-12, 08:11 PM
take picture at stop outside. It sounds like your meter is pinned.

Old 10-09-12, 08:51 PM
M
I take it my meter is not supposed to have a pin running through it, and that the gas company must have shut off my gas for some reason. Maybe it's an inactive account since I haven't had my furnace on at all, and consequently not used gas, since I moved in?

Well, thanks for the help, lack of gas supply certainly is a gas flow problem -- just not the one I thought I'd find!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: