How do you light the pilot on an old gas floor furnace?

Old 10-10-12, 10:53 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do you light the pilot on an old gas floor furnace?

I have this old floor furnace in my house. The lable where the "on" "off" "pilot" switch is, (located at top of picture in up close in the 2nd picture) is worn completely off. Anything I've looked up online has refered to a push button igniter which this furnace does not have. I'v also looked top to botton on the furnace for a lable of some kind so I could look up the type and brand, but I didn't find anything.

Attached Images   
Old 10-10-12, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 85 Upvotes on 77 Posts
Welcome.....

What is the make/model?

I believe those units did not have a traditional pilot system on them with no thermocouple.

You probably want to call in a pro to discuss your options. That system may be dangerous.

Old 10-10-12, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Your old floor furnace is probably 50-60 years old.

If you haven't had the furnace cleaned, serviced and inspected in the past couple of years, it's time to do that. Equipment that old can easily have defects or hazards that can be lethal, and a competent repairman should check it out.

Cleaning the pilot and pilot orifice should be part of that maintenance if it hasn't been done recently.

The hole in the top of the heat exchanger is a port that is supposed to allow the pilot burner to be lit, and then should have a plug installed to prevent combustion gasses from leaking out.

Lighting the pilot on that equipment takes a measure of skill and experience, as well as a good gas supply and clean pilot burner. It's unlikely that you are going to have success in lighting it even if you get people trying to coach you through the task.

I will second the suggestion that you need a repairman to help you put this equipment in service.

And frankly, it's past time to replace that floor furnace. Floor furnaces can do a good job of heating a house, but that one is way past it's expiration date, judging from the condition visible in the picture.

Old 10-10-12, 01:46 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I could not find a make or model on the furnace. I just moved into the house and it had sat vacant for about a year. I do know, however that it worked when the previous owner lived there. I guess I'll have to break down and call a professional. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: