Honeywell S8910U (Propane) - HELP!!

Old 10-11-12, 12:16 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honeywell S8910U (Propane) - HELP!!

Afternoon all,

I have a propane-fired, forced air HVAC unit in my home. As it got a little cold last night I decided to fire up the heat for the first time since last year. I guess you can guess that the reason I'm posting in here is . . . that it didn't work.

A little history on this system -
Over the past few years I've had the common HSI problems.
  • I've replaced the flame sensor
  • I've replaced the igniter a few times and finally found a decent White Rodgers unit that they claim won't crack.

So, this morning I went down to take a gander at the HVAC unit. I pull the cover off and the very first thing I notice is that the igniter is RED HOT, however the thermostat was in the off position? I disconnected the white lead to the igniter to kill it and proceeded upstairs to turn the thermostat to heat. The module apparently gets, and processes, the heat request because the flue fan came on, the igniter comes on for the allotted time, the gas valve clicks on and POOF - we have heat. The problem is that the igniter stays energized. Also, the flue fan continues to run, is this normal??

The LED, on the S8910U, is flashing what appears to be a normal "heartbeat" so I assume it thinks everything is ok. Could it be a faulty module or do I have something else going on??

Please help, it's going to be getting cold soon here int he NorthEast...

Thanks!
-Colin

Old 10-11-12, 02:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, the module is bad. It's not shutting off the power to the HSI, just as you observed.

Old 10-11-12, 03:00 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Being a mechanical/knowledgable guy, that's what I figured. I just hate to throw a $100 dart and not be sure. Also, the fact that the LED isn't blinking any fault codes made me wonder as well.

Is this a common problem with these??

Old 10-11-12, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Never heard of that particular problem before. Very likely it's a relay that is sticking open or closed.

In general, those Honeywell ignition modules are very reliable. I've had one on my furnace since 1985, it's still going strong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: