Old Bard needs to fix his ailments

Old 10-12-12, 07:30 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Bard needs to fix his ailments

I have recently moved into a 4 bedroom house and was looking at the many jobs I had before me when I discovered that the gas furnace wasn't doing what it was supposed to. I followed the procedure several times and each time the result was the same. The pilot lights.....the burners ignite and burn for about 30-45 seconds then goes out. the exhaust fan runs but have yet to have it up high enough to trigger thte blower fan. Anyone...winter is here and the wood stove doesn't work in the basement.....

I am mechanically inclined but haven't a clue about gas furnaces

...probably a good idea to mention that the furnace is brand named Bard....who doesn't make these anymore

Old 10-12-12, 08:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Take the cover off the burner compartment of the furnace.

Observe the sequence of events that occurs at the furnace when you turn up the thermostat and post that sequence of events in order and in detail.

Old 10-13-12, 08:20 AM
J
....sequence....

I turned on the gas and the little black knob and turned on the emergency cutoff and finally the power. The ignitor clicked about 30+ times and the pilot lit. 10 seconds later the burners lit. Burners burned for 40 seconds and shut off. I turned off the black button and the electric and started the restart procedure. Only this time as soon as I turned on the power the exhaust fan kicked in and there was a thudding sound. I turned off the power and took the exhaust fan off and disconnected thte vent pipe. I couple of dead mice and a small next fell out. I then went thru the restart and it seems to be runni9ng fine now....who knew a mouse could stop a furnace?

Old 10-13-12, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,055 Upvotes on 3,638 Posts
I couple of dead mice and a small next fell out.
It's that small next you have to watch for Now you'll need to find out how the critters are getting in and put a stop to it. Maybe some hardware cloth over the exhaust vent at roof.

Old 10-13-12, 07:27 PM
J
did that after I found the nest...thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: