Replace thermostat on Keeper gas furnace, blows cold air now.

Old 10-13-12, 08:35 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replace thermostat on Keeper gas furnace, blows cold air now.

I had the heating side relay on the original Whyte smart thermostat go because the batteries burst and must have eaten some part of the circuitry. I bought a Honeywell thermostat from HD and put it on, but there was no terminal on it for the C wire that was on the Whyte. Looking in the Honeywell instructions, it says to just leave the C wire loose so I did and set it up.

All night it just blew cold air, never lighting. When I replaced the thermostat, I looked at the wiring map on the inside of the Keeper to make sure there wasn't a setting, thinking that the Whyte was a 2-stage thermostat and the Honeywell wasn't. But the jumper on the board said it had been set up as a single stage, and I didn't think the Honeywell would be more than that given I was taking a wire off, not putting it on.

I'm going to take the power off today and maybe let it reset and see if it lights, but if it doesn't, would not having this wire connected cause this issue, and if so, how do I fix it, given that I've use this same thermostat in a furnace on my last house and it wasn't an issue.

TIA

Old 10-13-12, 11:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
All night it just blew cold air, never lighting
Did you have the fan switch set to "auto" or "on" on the thermostat?

What is strange is that the heat didn't work with your old or new thermostat. That might suggest that the problem lies with your heating system not the thermostat.

Old 10-13-12, 11:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think I figured it out. The "professional" that installed it put the blower on the W and the Heat on the G. The old thermostat would impulse both of them on heat cycle so it always worked. This thermostat only impulsed the W with heat cycle (which makes sense), so only the blower would go when I put the same wires to the same spot. I traced the wires back at the furnace, put the W on the W on the furnace, and all was good.

Thanks for the help though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: