Trane XE70 furnace does not light

Old 10-14-12, 11:34 AM
Question Trane XE70 furnace does not light

[Note added after this message was moved by moderator: Please note that the following is a continuation of a previous thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...t-light.html#b and refers to posted messages in that thread.]

I have the exact same problem with my XE70 furnace. The electric ignition would tick, tick, tick,... trying unsuccessfully to light the pilot. I finally found the source of the problem. It's a faulty internal electrical connection in one of the 5 pins that comes out of the gas valve.

In the picture of the gas valve, shown in the first message of this thread, there is a white, 5-socket, female connector plugged into the top of the gas valve. From left to right its wires are colored blue, black, white, black, and black. (The 3 black wires are electrically connected together with what has been described as a "nipple" in this thread.) The white connector plugs into five pins in the top of the gas valve.

As others here found, I too found that pushing the connector or wires had an effect on whether the pilot lit or whether it just went tick, tick, tick, ... . So I thought that the problem might be a faulty connector. I replaced the connector along with the wires and spade lugs on the other end of the blue and white wires. There was no improvement and the problem was the same. This suggested to me that the problem may not be with the connector, but rather with the pins of the gas valve that it was plugged into.

To further diagnose the problem, I made some wiring that had instead of the 5-socket connector, 5 individual sockets that attached to each pin individually. This way, I could jiggle each connector separately to see which pin had the problem. Doing this I found that the problem was with the second pin from the left, i.e. the one with the left-most black wire, looking at the picture provided in this thread. I also found that if I tied the black wire so that it would be pulled to the left and slightly towards the back in the picture, the furnace would work properly. So I concluded that the problem is with the second pin from the left of the 5 pins of the gas valve.

Although the furnace currently works with the tied black wire, I would like to more reliably fix the problem. It may be that the whole gas valve assembly probably needs to be replaced since just replacing the electrical part of it with the 5 pins may not be possible. I think I found the replacement part on the internet. Here are some links and urls to various places that I found. You may want to double check to see if these are the correct parts.

Amazon.com: 36E86-201: Home Improvement

Go to HVAC Parts - Air Conditioning Parts | BestBuyHeatingandAirConditioning.com and search for GSV36E8632

http://www.hvacpartsupplier.com/valves-c-6/val02992-p-4208

http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/PartsGuy/36E86302.html

I might end up calling a repairman anyhow since I'm not sure how to attach the black gas pipe to the outlet of the gas valve or how to take off the old one since it may be cemented in. If anyone has any info to share regarding removing and attaching this pipe, that would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by robert8; 10-14-12 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-12, 11:52 AM
per TRANE : USE VAL09377;THIS IS FOR NATURAL GAS APPLICATIONS ONLY. REMOVE THE 5 PIN PLUG ON THE UNIT AND CONNECT THE BLUE WIRE TO THE "COM" CONNECTION AND THE WHITE WIRE TO THE "L" CONNECTION. THE REPLACEMENT WILL NEED TO BE BUSHED FROM " NPT TO " NPT ON BOTH THE IN AS WELL AS THE OUT PORTS. IT WILL ALSO NEED TO BE ADJUSTED FROM 3.5 TO 3.3" W.C. - THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR LP APPLICATIONS.

This is not a DIY fix and should be done by a professional with a manometer so the gas pressure can be set.

Old 10-14-12, 11:54 AM
I have made this it's own thread

Old 10-14-12, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the warning regarding setting the pressure with a manometer. I'll have the job done by a repairman.

Regarding the part number VAL09377, are you sure that is correct? I tried finding VAL09377 on the internet and the places that had it didn't have a picture. Whereas a couple of the links for a different part number that I gave in my message had pictures which looked exactly the same as the part that needed replacing. For example, you can see that for yourself by comparing the picture at Amazon.com: 36E86-201: Home Improvement with the picture from the first message of the previous thread on this subject http://www.doityourself.com/forum/gas-oil-home-heating-furnaces/322301-trane-xe70-furnace-doesnt-light.html#b

Old 10-14-12, 03:46 PM
I am sure... I copied it directly from Trane's site as I am a Trane dealer. As the included instructions stated...
REMOVE THE 5 PIN PLUG ON THE UNIT AND CONNECT THE BLUE WIRE TO THE "COM" CONNECTION AND THE WHITE WIRE TO THE "L" CONNECTION.
What you found does not have a Trane part number. It may be New Old Stock or it may not be for a Trane at all.

Old 10-14-12, 06:55 PM
The part that I found looks exactly like the one on my furnace and like the one in the previous thread http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...t-light.html#b . Here's the info from the website:

5 Pin Plug Electronic or Hot Surface Ignition Gas Valve (Rheem, Trane, White Rodgers)

Code: GSV36E8632
Price: $244.76

White Rodgers, Trane, Rheem, American Standard OEM HSI Hot Surface and Electronic Ignition Gas Valve.

This Oem Gas Valve is used on many furnace models.
For use with Natural Gas.
Gas Pipe Inlet: 1/2".
Gas Pipe Outlet: 3/4".
Reducing Fittings Included: 1/2" to 3/4"
24 Volt Gas Safety Valve.

Replaces Gas Valve Obsolete Part Numbers:

VAL02992 VAL02622 VAL2622 WG19X224 CARVAL2992 36E86-201, 36E86-202, 36E86-204, 36E86-302, 36E86-205, 36E86-303, 36E86-302S1, CAR36E86302.

Trane, American Standard Furnaces:

BLU120F948B2 BLU0 BLU080F92481 BLU080F924B1 BLU068L942A1 BLUO68L942A1 BLU045L924A1 .

If the part you found is the correct one, why should it require the modification that you mentioned, "REMOVE THE 5 PIN PLUG ON THE UNIT AND CONNECT THE BLUE WIRE TO THE "COM" CONNECTION AND THE WHITE WIRE TO THE "L" CONNECTION." ? Why shouldn't the 5 pin plug work as is, if it is the proper part?

And on the part that you found, if the 5 pin plug can be removed and the blue and white wires rewired, perhaps the same or similar can be done with the faulty 5 pin plug on my furnace's gas valve to fix our problem. What do you think? Thanks.

Last edited by robert8; 10-14-12 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-14-12, 08:20 PM
The pictures on the previous thread showed a model and serial number that I input on comfort site (trane's website) I copied and pasted exactly what it said. The original valve is NO LONGER AVAILABLE from trane and this is the replacement as they have on their website. The new valve does not have the same terminals as the old valve and is why the rewiring is necessary. They most likely no longer make the valve because there was a problem with it. The repair is to update the valve and make the required wiring changes. Why do you question me? I have nothing to gain by giving you ill advice. There is no picture of the valve on Trane's site. We don't need pictures other than an exploded view of the furnace (which is available). What is your model number of your furnace? Has the heat exchanger been examined for defects by a professional before you waste money on a repair?

Old 10-14-12, 08:58 PM
Since the 5 pin plug can be removed on the part that you found, and the blue and white wires can be connected without using the plug, perhaps the faulty 5 pin plug on my furnace's gas valve can be removed so that the connection to the valve can be made without using the faulty 5 pin plug. What do you think? Thanks.

Old 10-14-12, 09:16 PM
NO, you can not do that.

There is no 5 pin plug on the replacement valve available from Trane is the way I read it. The 5 pin plug (wire plug) can be removed from your current valve... it is a plug end or connector..... I assume it is simply a 2 wire connection on a different valve all together and does not require all the connections that the old one did?

The one you found is a new old stock direct replacement....It is no longer available from Trane is all that I was getting at by giving you the Trane recommended replacement gas valve part number and information.

Why are you trying to make this harder than it needs to be? Have the gas valve replaced either use the one you found or the one that Trane recommends. Gas valves repairs should NEVER be attempted and only replaced.

Old 10-14-12, 11:54 PM
Regarding two of your previous questions,

1) "What is your model number of your furnace?" TUN120A960A1

2) "Has the heat exchanger been examined for defects by a professional before you waste money on a repair?" No.

Old 10-15-12, 04:22 AM
For your exact model here are the results: No longer available, use existing inventory VAL02991

Old 10-17-12, 07:14 PM
Re a previous comment of yours, "There is no 5 pin plug on the replacement valve available from Trane is the way I read it." ... "I assume it is simply a 2 wire connection on a different valve all together and does not require all the connections that the old one did?" Your read seems right to me. It looks like Trane avoided the 5-pin connector problem that the previous models had, by using a two-wire connection instead of 5 pins. Seems like a reasonable redesign since on the older valve units, 3 of the 5 pins (i.e. what the black wires connected to together) aren't connected to anything external to the valve unit.

Old 12-19-12, 05:35 AM
Question Any Update

Did replacing the gas valve with GSV36E8632 work for you Robert8?