Trane XR90 Thermostat Connection

Old 10-25-12, 07:07 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XR90 Thermostat Connection

Hello All,

Just got a used Trane XR90, gas connection went smoothly but cannot find the connections for the Thermostat. Looked at the online manual but could not figure anything out. Any inputs are appreciated. Cheers, Ric

Old 10-25-12, 07:18 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Do you have a/c?

There is a control board with connections R, B/C, G, W, and Y

Provide the model number and I will get you an installation manual.

Old 10-25-12, 07:26 PM
R
Thanks for a quick reply, I am not near the furnace right now so will get the model number tommorrow. Now those alphabets connections on control board. Which one's host the thermostat? I got one manual on XR90 but could not figure out much out. Thermostat wiring has black and white so which alphabet connection would take black and which one white. Thanks again.

I do not have AC connection so far for this furnace.

Also, on the top of furnace there are two 2" pipes coming out. When facing the furnace where does the left side pipe go to and where does the right hand side. Remember I am facing the furnace.

Old 10-25-12, 07:33 PM
Thermostat connections are going to be the same except that B/C may or may not be used depending on your thermostat and the wires available that are running to the thermostat.

R = 24V hot
B/C = 24V common
W = call for heat
G = call for fan
Y =call for compressor

Old 10-25-12, 07:40 PM
Because you only have 2 wires....
Black = R
White = W

You MUST read an installation manual!!!! To install this or any furnace! This is imperative! You could unknowingly create a fatal situation.

The right side pipe is the exhaust (typically) and the pipe in the middle of the furnace is intake (typically).

I strongly urge you to have a professional, at the very least, to check the installation and setup the sytem properly.

Old 10-25-12, 07:54 PM
R
The gas connections were done by the gas tech who is retired and has worked mostly on the older model furnaces. The thermostat has two wires black and white so on control board they will get B and W.

Right side pipe is exhaust so it goes to outside, can I connect it to the dryer vent. Left side is intake (probably) and in the older furnace it went to the water heater, correct?

Also, regarding the electric current coming from the fuse box, black wire on black of furnace and white on white. The seller said only two wire made the whole electric connection. Correct me if something wrong here.

Appreciate the help!

Old 10-25-12, 08:00 PM
NO, again you need to read the manual. The vents MUST be done in PVC only! The intake shlould be piped outside.

The connections at the furnace are R and W, same as at the thermostat as I stated. The equipment MUST be properly grounded so more than 2 wires is required. You need a manual!

The problem comes in not from the gas connection, but the flue connections that you can create a bad situation if the flues are not run properly. Again, get me the model number and I will get you the PROPER manual. Please have the system checked by a professional before attempting to use it!

Old 10-25-12, 08:03 PM
R
I will get the model number tommorrow and would appreciate the manual. I will have a gas tech come and approve all the connections, wiring and spacing and have him run few cycles before he leaves.

Old 10-26-12, 12:19 PM
R
Well here is the model number I think from a side bar code on furnace

TUX060C936D3 spaces 4324F757G spaces on bar code 07

Also looked at one circuit diagram on furnace panel and it had a whole table of various models: I think mine is

UX060C as it matches with bar code above. It is a two pipe system with direct vent.

Hope it works. Look forward to the manual.

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-12, 12:58 PM
Here is the installers guide for that furnace.
Here is the service facts for that furnace.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 10-27-12 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-26-12, 01:16 PM
R
Thanks a lot. Let me get to some focused work. I will have questions for sure and will bug you again. Appreciate the help!

Old 10-27-12, 10:02 PM
R
Hello Again,

I had a brief reading on the manual and have two questions:

a) The exhaust i.e. right side pipe. In the older furnace this connection was shared with the water heater and goes to the chimney on the roof I think. Can I use XR90 exhaust to share connection with the water heater. If not then I will have to disconnect water heater tank connection and connect it to the dryer vent.

b) The intake pipe in the middle. Can I use the dryer connection for intake by using concentric vent in the end stage of the pipes. This way I have fresh air coming in from outside and dryer and heater exhaust going out also. Electric dryer vent is not too far, but to drill another hole in the roof and pipes going all the way is going to take some work.

Would save me from drilling another hole as I live in a Condo and that is a paperwork type headache. Can I leave intake pipe without a fresh outside connection or is it mandatory.

Cheers!

Old 10-27-12, 10:11 PM
Can I use XR90 exhaust to share connection with the water heater.
NO. You obviously did not read the manual.....
If not then I will have to disconnect water heater tank connection and connect it to the dryer vent.
NO, you can not do that either.
Can I use the dryer connection for intake by using concentric vent in the end stage of the pipes. This way I have fresh air coming in from outside and dryer and heater exhaust going out also.
NO, dyer and heater exhaust can NOT be combined
Can I leave intake pipe without a fresh outside connection or is it mandatory.
READ THE MANUAL

Old 10-27-12, 10:50 PM
see post 10....changed link to the exact installation manual for your furnace
also added service maual link.

Trane's site was down before and I could not get the exact right manual. it is basically the same anyway, but now you have correct links to the manuals

Old 10-27-12, 11:35 PM
R
Gas Furnace Basics: Part 1 - YouTube

Visit this excellent video on furnace basics. Jump to around 3:51 min on clock. The connection between furnace vent and heater vent is same as mine. Does this qualify for sharing of the vents or are they separate.

Old 10-28-12, 12:10 AM
again, read the manual. I have answered this same question 2 times already. NO! The furnace MUST be vented in PVC PLASTIC pipe the EINTIRE lenth of the vent. The intake/exhaust vent can NOT be commonly shared.

Old 10-28-12, 06:52 AM
HVACTech is Correct, and you MUST read the manual! No Metal pipes and or sharing for these furnaces!

Old 10-28-12, 10:55 AM
R
Yikes, that means I might have to rip the metal venting going all the way to the roof. Hope it is a straight show.

Old 10-28-12, 10:56 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can not do that either..... Please call a professional!

Old 10-28-12, 10:58 AM
R
I have called the Home Depot guy for giving me the estimates. I will explore possibilities and hope they confirm with what is said on this forum. I will also have another HVAC company come in if they give free estimates.

Old 10-28-12, 11:05 AM
If you would read the manual thoroughly then you would not have to ask these questions... Because you refuse to read the manual you are likely going to install it incorrectly and unsafely. If this is in a basement or near an outside wall on the main floor, have you thought about sidewall venting the XR90?

Old 10-28-12, 11:09 AM
general venting instructions begin on page 13 of the installers guide.

Old 10-28-12, 11:13 AM
R
Smile

Sidewall has been thought but live in a Condo so to drill another hole or two to outside is going to require all sorts of paperwork and even inspector visit etc. I think that would be a bigger headache than putting the old furnace back on. I am reading the manual, don't get me wrong on that. Just want to save few thousands in venting costs as others have told me. Cheers!

Old 10-28-12, 11:17 AM
It should require an inspector visit to use this kind of venting system anyway! Sounds like you need to find an 80% efficient furnace to put in and save you venting costs.

Old 10-28-12, 08:52 PM
R
Ok then, please advise as to how right or wrong am I on this reasoning:

High efficiency furnaces: They are better off venting horizontally as exhaust given out is not too powerful to climb upto the Chimney. Also, when making a connection with another gas appliance it nullifies the "positive pressure" only effect of the exhaust and thus furnace exhaust risks taking a U turn instead of venting to the outside.

What is the main reason of using PVC pipe only for venting. Is it that HE Furnace flue is more corrosive and can create cracks in metal vents and thus allowing CO gases to spread inside.

Old 10-28-12, 09:06 PM
PVC is required for a few reasons. First it is a positive pressure venting system. Second is that the flue gases have cooled so much that the gases will condense inside the flue; a metal flue would rot out. Third because THE MANUAL SAYS IT MUST BE USED.

If you were to combine flue vents where one was a positive pressure the flue gases would follow the path of least resistance which often would be back through the other appliance.

A pvc flue on a high efficiency furnace can be vented vertically as easily out of a roof the same as it can be vented horizontally through the side wall. The appliance can not be vented into a chimney due to the temperature of the flue gases. Without the heat the gases will not escape out the chimney.

The pvc flue must be sloped back to the appliance from the termination at at least 1/4" per foot otherwise the condensed flue gases (condensate) will pool and shut down the system due to the system not being able to obtain the proper pressure in the heat exchanger and there by opeing the pressure switch circuit.

Another thing to remember when venting a HE furnace is to use the correct size of PVC per the lenth of the flue run. There is a venting table in the manual provided. Remember that each 90 degree elbow is worth 5 feet or linear flue length.

I can't stress how important it is that the furnace flues be installed properly and according to the manual and mechanical code.

Old 10-28-12, 09:09 PM
With the High Efficiency furnace, it pulls 90 or so % of the heat out of the exhaust, and puts it into the home, and 10% out the vent.. With the lower heat the exhaust is cooler, and lots of moisture so PVC is used instead of metal.. Water and metal don't mix. PVC can exhausted up the roof as well. Most of them are done w/ venting out the side of the home since it's easier to do than run the pipe up the roof.

Old 10-28-12, 09:12 PM
R
Thanks a lot for a detailed answer! can't wait for advances in solar energy type heating to avoid the gas furnaces risks related with them.

Old 10-30-12, 02:48 PM
R
Btw, is there any place I can get the electrical circuit diagram for Anthes Eastern HGB75 model. It is 60K BTU.

Old 10-30-12, 04:27 PM
Never heard of that kind of furnace sorry.

Old 10-31-12, 08:09 PM
R
Btw, just did some wiring to this furnace. The fan blower which was not running before is running after replacement but also on the "Auto". It should run on the Auto only when the limit switch tells it to. Does this mean Limit Switch is also faulty or something in the wiring. How can I check if limit switch is good. Continuity test or something else.

The limit switch is Honeywell L4068 with 3 inch tail that goes into the heat exchanger.

Old 10-31-12, 08:18 PM
Start a new thead if you are working on something other than the Trane XR90.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: