Solid Red on Goodman Furnace... Jumped R and G and got fan to start...

Old 10-29-12, 11:03 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Solid Red on Goodman Furnace... Jumped R and G and got fan to start...

OK so I have a goodman gas furnace upstairs and I dont think it has worked since I shut the AC off a few weeks ago. I put it on heat and set it to 68* and randomly when it was above 68* it would blow air, not heated air just air. So tonight I come upstairs and notice that it is reading 66* yet I have it set to 68*. I do the normal troubleshooting to no prevail. I do some more searching and see that it is giving me a solid red light on the board and no power or anything. After more reading I jump the R and G terminals on the board and my fan starts to blow yet no burner's or anything else. What in the world does this mean??

I replaced batteries on my thermo
Jumped R and G and got the fan to start but nothing else is happening.

Please advise. It is going to get cold over the next few nights.

Old 10-29-12, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
Jumping R and G will only make the fan come on. Jumping R to W should make the heat come on.

Old 10-30-12, 06:28 AM
J
When I jumped R and W nothing happened? I was doing some reading and saw that R and G was also a good way to test the board to see if it was bad or not. I also checked the 3amp fuse and it was still intact.

Please advise.

entire family was just severly affected by Hurricane Sandy and may need to go up but need to make sure I have heat first.

Thanks so much,

Old 10-30-12, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Use a voltmeter to see if you have 24VAC between the R terminal and chassis ground. You should since that needs to be present to switch the fan on when you connect the R and G terminals.

When the R and W terminals are connected, the inducer motor should switch on. Check to see if you have 120 VAC being applied to the inducer motor. If you do, you have a bad inducer motor. If you don't, you have a bad circuit board.

Old 10-30-12, 07:01 AM
J
ok, so I got a little over 24v from R to ground. I then looked at the motor and there are two connections going to it. One black wire and I think one white. Once I wiggled the black it kicked on and burners and fan started to go. I touched it again ever so slightly and it went off and then touched it again and it started to run again. I have it running right now to see if it will heat up and then shut it self off. However while doing this the solid red on the board never went away.

I'm all sorts of confused now.

Old 10-30-12, 07:26 AM
J
is this a known thing? Why is did the red light stay on even though everything seems to be running now or will it not shut off or turn back on properly?

Also another thing is the thermo is set at 68 but has been reading 63 for sometime now even though the heat has been pumping... Dont know if it just needs time to react or if there is still a major issue...

Really appreciate the help!!!

Old 10-30-12, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Sometimes diagnostic lights can be useful, other times they are not.

It appears that the circuit board is energizing, or attempting to energize the inducer motor. That being the case, there is presumably no defect in the circuit board.

Sounds like you have a poor electrical connection that needs to be diagnosed and repaired.

I would concentrate on making that repair and not be concerned about the thermostat until that problem is solved.

Old 11-01-12, 07:23 AM
J
Yeah... it happened again this morning... went upstairs to the attic pushed on that connection a bit and it kicked back in... I wonder if the terminal inside the motor is weak... I will have to take a look..

Thanks so much everybody and really hope some of these tips helps somebody else when they search in the future...

If I have anything else I will not be afraid to ask...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: